Solved

External Hard Drive not detected in Disk Management or Device Manager

A couple of years ago I got an external hard drive that held about 100 Wii games on it (It was some kind of Wii hack, and was probably illegal). We no longer use our Wii and I was going to try to use the external hard drive for personal use with my computer.

Whenever I plug the hard drive into my computer, it isn't detected anywhere. Not disk management, not device manager, or auto-play. However, it does tun on, and I can hear it spinning and the little LED comes on (normally too, not blinking or anything). I even tried a couple of different cords to see if that was the problem. I also plugged it into multiple computers, and multiple USB drives, and none of them worked.

My hard drive is a Seagate 250 GB 5400.6 External Hard Drive

This was the closest thing I could find. It looks exactly the same as this picture, but mine has a black covering that I took off, and it looks like this without it.

So does this mean that my external hard drive is bricked or completely dead? Should I try and contact Seagate even though it is probably formatted differently? f

All suggestions and answers are welcome.

Thanks in advance!
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about external hard drive detected disk management device manager
  1. Possibly the enclosure is dead rather than the drive. Get a USB dock or cable, take the drive out of the enclosure and try it that way.
  2. USAFRet said:
    Possibly the enclosure is dead rather than the drive. Get a USB dock or cable, take the drive out of the enclosure and try it that way.




    Do you think I could just plug it into my power supply of my computer instead of the USB port? I don't have any USB docks.

    http://imgur.com/qSlxBZu
  3. Best answer
    SnackAttack173 said:
    USAFRet said:
    Possibly the enclosure is dead rather than the drive. Get a USB dock or cable, take the drive out of the enclosure and try it that way.




    Do you think I could just plug it into my power supply of my computer instead of the USB port? I don't have any USB docks.

    http://imgur.com/qSlxBZu


    Your pic isn't coming up for some reason, but:

    Assuming it is a regular SATA drive, and it probably is, and assuming you have a spare SATA data cable around...yes, you can hook it up internally on a desktop.
    See what happens.
  4. SnackAttack173 said:
    A couple of years ago I got an external hard drive that held about 100 Wii games on it (It was some kind of Wii hack, and was probably illegal). We no longer use our Wii and I was going to try to use the external hard drive for personal use with my computer.

    Whenever I plug the hard drive into my computer, it isn't detected anywhere. Not disk management, not device manager, or auto-play. However, it does tun on, and I can hear it spinning and the little LED comes on (normally too, not blinking or anything). I even tried a couple of different cords to see if that was the problem. I also plugged it into multiple computers, and multiple USB drives, and none of them worked.

    My hard drive is a Seagate 250 GB 5400.6 External Hard Drive

    This was the closest thing I could find. It looks exactly the same as this picture, but mine has a black covering that I took off, and it looks like this without it.

    So does this mean that my external hard drive is bricked or completely dead? Should I try and contact Seagate even though it is probably formatted differently? f

    All suggestions and answers are welcome.

    Thanks in advance!
Ask a new question

Read More

Device Manager Storage Disk Management External Hard Drive Wii