Solved

SSD for os, want to add new HDD to expand storage.

I have an MSI z87Mpower Board running a SSD as the boot drive with windows 8.1 at the moment. I'd like to add a new HDD to the system and would like to know how to set it up. Thanks for any tips!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ssd add hdd expand storage
  1. That is a very common config.
    Connect it. It will simply be another drive letter. Use as you see fit.

    See these tutorials for how to manage data across the two drives.
    Win 7 & 8 http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
    Win 8.1 http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html
  2. thank you for your fast answer. The issue seems to be that the drive is detected in the bios when i plug it in, but does not actually read on the os, nor does a drive letter pop up for it. It does not show up when I turn on windows. I imagine i must have some bios setting wrong, but I'd really appreciate any help in troubleshooting this problem.
  3. Best answer
    AnagramOrgies said:
    thank you for your fast answer. The issue seems to be that the drive is detected in the bios when i plug it in, but does not actually read on the os, nor does a drive letter pop up for it. It does not show up when I turn on windows. I imagine i must have some bios setting wrong, but I'd really appreciate any help in troubleshooting this problem.


    Right. Go into Disk Management. Right click on the drive. What options does it give?
    You might have to make it Active, and give it a drive letter.
  4. USAFRet said:

    Right. Go into Disk Management. Right click on the drive. What options does it give?
    You might have to make it Active, and give it a drive letter.


    Awesome! thank you! I have finally discovered this drive from the os! which partition style do you recommend for my configuration? MBR or GPT?
  5. AnagramOrgies said:

    USAFRet said:

    Right. Go into Disk Management. Right click on the drive. What options does it give?
    You might have to make it Active, and give it a drive letter.


    Awesome! thank you! I have finally discovered this drive from the os! which partition style do you recommend for my configuration? MBR or GPT?


    GPT.
  6. awesome! thanks for all the info, I really appreciate your patience.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD msibios Storage Expand Hard Drives