Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

120hz TV as monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 16, 2014 2:05:50 AM

Has anyone managed to use a native 120hz tv as a monitor? I've scoured the net to only find a set of old forums and a set of people who don't know what they're talking about. So, here's what i know to avoid any runaround:-

1. I need to get an actual 120hz tv. I want a tv because i want a 32" display, not 27.
2. It has to have hdmi 1.4b to run 1080p.120hz , so a 2013 tv at least.

I've been looking at the Sony W-series tv's. They're active 3d capable, so it's definitely 120hz. So has anybody been successful in getting 120hz from ANY tv similar to these? (without overclocking)

More about : 120hz monitor

Best solution

a b C Monitor
February 16, 2014 3:07:59 AM

Now I got this Samsung UN32F6300 32-Inch 1080p 120Hz Slim Smart LED HDTV http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BCGRTKU/ref=mw_dp_mpd?...

For around 800$
Its got pretty much all things what you need
Share
February 16, 2014 11:54:47 AM

Ravi Gagan said:
Now I got this Samsung UN32F6300 32-Inch 1080p 120Hz Slim Smart LED HDTV http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BCGRTKU/ref=mw_dp_mpd?...

For around 800$
Its got pretty much all things what you need


Thanks, i did see this tv as well. I know its 120hz, but i've seen some people have varying degrees of success getting some tvs to display their desktop at 120hz. I'm particular about the Sonys because of the aggressive game mode, which put it above other tvs and into monitor grade quickness. 30ms vs sub-20 is a big deal. I need somebody to say they've done it without issue to be entirely sure. I'm not in a position to return any of these tvs if it doesn't work out and i can get regular sets at a lower price locally if that's the case.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 133 C Monitor
February 16, 2014 1:06:53 PM

Your video never showed anything about being 120hz.

The Manual says it only has 4 HDMI connections and uses L/R 3D mode. Both of which suggest it does not support 120hz of input. L/R 3D modes take 60hz of input, with each frame consisting of the Left and Right eyes image at a reduced resolution, then upscaled when displayed and until there is an HDMI 2.0, HDMI doesn't support 120hz.

Are you sure you can set it to run at 120hz from within Windows?
m
0
l
a c 133 C Monitor
February 16, 2014 1:56:15 PM

Ravi Gagan said:
See this one http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R1QTdIN9pJI&fulldescriptio...

If this one don't help you either then I can't say anything


That one confirms it is not 120hz of input. There are several people who mention it in the comments. The 120hz is with the interpolated mode. It is not real 120hz.
m
0
l
a c 133 C Monitor
February 16, 2014 2:15:54 PM



Clearly you are unaware of the difference of 120hz TV's and 120hz monitors. Just because he stated the TV was 120hz, does not mean it accept 120hz of input.

120hz TV's have a maximum input of 60hz. They take those 60 or 24hz of input, and do one of 2 things:
1) repeat those images 2-4 times, depending on the input to get 120 refreshes a second.
2) they calculate images to fit between the inputted images. This results in a lot of latency.

120hz monitors have a maximum input of 120hz. They take what ever frames they receive and display them as is.

A TV advertised as 120hz doesn't mean it has 120hz of input. Anyways, the owner of one of those videos mentioned it is 60hz on a PC, and several of the comments confirm. That 120hz TV is no different than any other in that regard.

Don't bother posting more videos, unless it shows you how you can set Windows to 120hz and it will accept 120hz of input.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
February 16, 2014 2:20:27 PM

I found a TV with features just as you wanted
I thought you know what you are doing
m
0
l
a c 133 C Monitor
February 16, 2014 2:24:02 PM

Ravi Gagan said:
I found a TV with features just as you wanted
I thought you know what you are doing


I wasn't the one who asked for one. I was just surprised enough at the possibility I looked it up. As it turned out, no, that TV does not do what the OP asked for. It is like all other 120hz HDTV's. They operate at 120hz as a TV using their special interpolation, but for a PC, they work at 60hz. Some, like this one, does allow for their interpolation 120hz mode when using a PC, but it induced lots of latency and isn't truly 120hz, in the way that PC monitors are.

The OP is mistaken at one thing. HDMI 1.4b does not support 120hz. It does support frame packing, which allows for 3D at 60hz per eye, but not 120hz. HDMI 2.0 is supposed to bring that to us.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
February 16, 2014 2:26:22 PM

So do you wanna look for TV with 60hz instead of 120hz
m
0
l
a c 133 C Monitor
February 16, 2014 2:37:28 PM

sleepy1234 said:
Has anyone managed to use a native 120hz tv as a monitor? I've scoured the net to only find a set of old forums and a set of people who don't know what they're talking about. So, here's what i know to avoid any runaround:-

1. I need to get an actual 120hz tv. I want a tv because i want a 32" display, not 27.
2. It has to have hdmi 1.4b to run 1080p.120hz , so a 2013 tv at least.

I've been looking at the Sony W-series tv's. They're active 3d capable, so it's definitely 120hz. So has anybody been successful in getting 120hz from ANY tv similar to these? (without overclocking)


Just to clear things up, Active displays TV's aren't 120hz in the way that monitors are. There are a lot of different tricks used and on TV's, they often run at 24hz in 3D (note: in 3D, 1 frame includes both right and left images). Some will work up to 60hz in 3D, but don't mistake that as being able to accept 120 frames a second. They use a trick to get those images to the TV. They include two images on a single frame. R/L and L/R 3D methods will send both images on a single frame by splitting the frame in half, and sending both the right eye and left eye images together and upscale those image to fit the screen once received, on alternating frames.

There is also frame packing, that does the same thing, only they don't split the images in half. Frame packing works at 24hz with 1080p and up to 60hz at 720p. This is what HDMI 1.4b allows.

HDMI 1.4b does not, however, allows 120hz. 120hz isn't going to be offered until HDMI 2.0.

So the question is, what is the purpose of getting this monitor? Is it for 120hz PC gaming, or 3D? If it is for 120hz gaming, you may have to stick with the 27" 1080p monitor. If it is for 3D, the one mentioned above will get you active 3D, it just will be of lower quality due to the R/L format it uses.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
February 16, 2014 2:40:32 PM

bystander said:
sleepy1234 said:
Has anyone managed to use a native 120hz tv as a monitor? I've scoured the net to only find a set of old forums and a set of people who don't know what they're talking about. So, here's what i know to avoid any runaround:-

1. I need to get an actual 120hz tv. I want a tv because i want a 32" display, not 27.
2. It has to have hdmi 1.4b to run 1080p.120hz , so a 2013 tv at least.

I've been looking at the Sony W-series tv's. They're active 3d capable, so it's definitely 120hz. So has anybody been successful in getting 120hz from ANY tv similar to these? (without overclocking)


Just to clear things up, Active displays TV's aren't 120hz in the way that monitors are. There are a lot of different tricks used and on TV's, they often run at 24hz in 3D (note: in 3D, 1 frame includes both right and left images). Some will work up to 60hz in 3D, but don't mistake that as being able to accept 120 frames a second. They use a trick to get those images to the TV. They include two images on a single frame. R/L and L/R 3D methods will send both images on a single frame by splitting the frame in half, and sending both the right eye and left eye images together and upscale those image to fit the screen once received, on alternating frames.

There is also frame packing, that does the same thing, only they don't split the images in half. Frame packing works at 24hz with 1080p and up to 60hz at 720p. This is what HDMI 1.4b allows.

HDMI 1.4b does not, however, allows 120hz. 120hz isn't going to be offered until HDMI 2.0.

So the question is, what is the purpose of getting this monitor? Is it for 120hz PC gaming, or 3D? If it is for 120hz gaming, you may have to stick with the 27" 1080p monitor. If it is for 3D, the one mentioned above will get you active 3D, it just will be of lower quality due to the R/L format it uses.


no one buy monitors for 3D
m
0
l
a c 133 C Monitor
February 16, 2014 2:47:57 PM

That is not true at all. There may be fewer people that do, but there are plenty of people who buy a monitor to game in 3D. I happen to be one of those people. Though to be honest, I originally bought the monitor for 120hz, but found 3D Vision was much better than gaming at 120hz.

Others who have posted here have specifically asked for 3D monitors. That said, he probably is looking for 120hz, which is why the TV you mentioned isn't likely going to work for his needs. But rather than assuming, I thought I'd ask.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
February 16, 2014 2:51:40 PM

If you have to buy then what would you choose, 120 hz tv or 120 hz monitor.
m
0
l
!