Solved

AMD FX-8320 overheating (no overclock)

Hey, I recently build a PC with the following components:
ASROCK 970 Pro3 r2.0
AMD FX-8320
and the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13.
(I can provide other components if needed)
While Gaming, i noticed Performance Issues, and therefore downloaded CoreTemp to see the origin of the problem. CoreTemp (and CPU-Z) revealed to me that the FX-8320 drops to 1400MHz, but did not recognize high temperatures.
Only OCCT revealed to me that, while running prime, the temperature of the cpu rises to 65 C° within 30 seconds and then throttles.
I think for an aftermarkt cooler with good reviews, this is too high.
(Thermal Paste was pre-applied, so there should not have been a problem with that).
Greetings ;)
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about amd 8320 overheating overclock
  1. What case have you got and fan setup? Did you check heatsink rpm and if it's mounted properly
  2. AshyCFC said:
    What case have you got and fan setup? Did you check heatsink rpm and if it's mounted properly


    I'm using the Sharkoon T28. In BIOS i set all Fans to run at maximum all the time.
    While mounting the cooler, I had issues with short screws but was able to mount it after 5-10 minutes. It is relatively tight now though. Is that the issue?
    BTW: I even disabled AMD Turbo mode and am now constantly running at 3,5 GHz, still overheating.
  3. I don't think being too tight is a problem, can you post an image of inside the case.
  4. AshyCFC said:
    I don't think being too tight is a problem, can you post an image of inside the case.



    CPU cable couldn't go anywhere else, it is too short otherwise, but I think a single cable should not matter the airflow that much
  5. You're right the single cable shouldbt be too bad, what about for your case fans?
  6. AshyCFC said:
    You're right the single cable shouldbt be too bad, what about for your case fans?

    All up and running. I connected them to the motherboard and they are set to run at max.
  7. on the motherboard's page at asrock website, a top down cooler is recommended when using a fx-8 125w cpu, your cooler is a tower cooler, anyway try changing the cooler's position to the one in the pic below
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Arctic_Freezer_13_Pro.jpg
  8. pc 1 said:
    on the motherboard's page at asrock website, a top down cooler is recommended when using a fx-8 125w cpu, your cooler is a tower cooler, anyway try changing the cooler's position to the one in the pic below
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Arctic_Freezer_13_Pro.jpg


    Due to the AMD mounting system I can only mount it this way or upside down, but if I do so it blocks my memory chips. I am already on the second dual slot.
    I see your point though, but shouldn't my amd run without overheating anyways? I mean, I am lower than turbo speed :/.
  9. 8 cores processors are power hungry and when using these processors with 4+1 power phase motherboards like your's, you should have excellent cooling in the case, anyway try changing the direction of the rear fan, let it intake instead of exhaust, see if that helps
  10. Well, I tried the above things without much succes.
    However, it turned out that my bios applied a vcore of 1.4 at 3.5 GHz.
    Lowering it helped with the temperature.
    My question still would be: How low can I go?
    I am back to stock 4GHz with a vcore of 1.17 and while runnig hot a little through prime, I can now play far cry normally.
    I saw that other people had much higher vcores and already had stability issues.
    Might there be a problem with how my Mobo applies the vcore?
  11. Best answer
    considering you're using 4+1 VRM's it's unsurprising you need to lower the vcore.

    The problem is how your mobo supplies power to the CPU.

    with the FX 8series I'd recommend atleast 6+2 and 8+2 is better.

    Incase you didn't no, 4+1 phase is the worst type available to power the 8series(Just about)
    4+2 is a bit better, 6+2 fine and 8+2 perfect.

    Basically 8+2 provides the power to the CPU cleaner and cooler than the others. You can upgrade to an 8+2 board for around $100 or £70 or if you post where your from we can find out.

    You can of course stay with the current board also by the way the fx-8320 is at 3.5ghz stock not 4.0ghz(that's the 8350)
  12. AshyCFC said:
    considering you're using 4+1 VRM's it's unsurprising you need to lower the vcore.

    The problem is how your mobo supplies power to the CPU.

    with the FX 8series I'd recommend atleast 6+2 and 8+2 is better.

    Incase you didn't no, 4+1 phase is the worst type available to power the 8series(Just about)
    4+2 is a bit better, 6+2 fine and 8+2 perfect.

    Basically 8+2 provides the power to the CPU cleaner and cooler than the others. You can upgrade to an 8+2 board for around $100 or £70 or if you post where your from we can find out.

    You can of course stay with the current board also by the way the fx-8320 is at 3.5ghz stock not 4.0ghz(that's the 8350)


    First of all, thanks for your help.
    Budgetwise, I think upgrading my mainboard is not an option. I think I am fine with my 4GHz Fx.
    However, I have a final question: Lowering the Vcore cannot damage my system as long as it is stable, right?
  13. If it runs stable/you're not encountering errors such as random freezing or anything like that.

    You're good.
  14. I wouldn;t trust 1.17V though..thats awfully low. If so i would run prime95 and see how she lasts. Probably not long. I would stick to 1.25 as a minimum for stock clocks. Oops i saw your Prime mention in the post above. You must have magic silicon to stablilise at that voltage.! congrats. I fumble at around 1.23 at stock clocks with my fx-6300..........primes out in like a second
  15. Oh man I have that same chip and cooler and mine has ran as high as -20 on the thermal margin when gaming and monitoring with amd overdrive for about a year.

    I' ve never had an issue though but it has troubled me as it would get hot as hell especially near my radeon 7970 which is also extremly hot by nature.

    Today i decided to turn off turbo boost, amd cool n quiet, and turn on hpc. Just gamed for an hour and the temp never went below +26 thermal margin massive difference I wonder why.

    fyi my understanding thermal margin is the max designed temp the chip can handle or run at. so my constant -20 degrees C was insane.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking ASrock CPUs AMD Build Components