Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Two BSOD's, System Service Exception and Page Fault in NonPaged Area

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
February 16, 2014 4:01:53 PM

Hey everyone,

I've been having an issue with my computer for a couple weeks now. It usually happens when I alt-tab in and out of a game or other full-screen application. Initially the BSOD I was getting was System_Service_Exception, and after about a week of this happening I did a little research and found some of the issues other people were having were related to RealTek drivers and Graphics drivers, both of which I did clean updates. However, this did not help. I then uninstalled and re-installed the game which had been causing a majority of the issues for me. Now, instead of System_Service_Exception, I just got Page_Fault_in_NonPaged_Area. Normally I'm able to fix these issues but I am totally at a loss right now. Any help you guys can give will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Krink

System:
i7-3930K
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator GT
670GTX 1GB x2 SLI
Samsung SSD 840 series 256GB
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2014 4:09:13 PM

what is the stop code or dump file associated with the BSOD's? take a pic of the BSOD or write down the stop code. it will look like 0x000001E or 0x0000005 something like that
m
0
l
February 16, 2014 4:24:09 PM

I've gone into my root C: drive and there's a 'Crash' folder, but there's nothing in it. I'll make sure to write down the stop code this next time, I'll admit I totally forgot to do so previously.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2014 4:26:30 PM

that's fine, just keep us posted
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2014 4:27:32 PM

There are various causes of this error, one would be that a buggy device driver has used all of your nonpaged pool in your system.
nonpaged pool means memory that the system has reserved for device drivers, it can not be swapped out of memory (paged to the harddrive)
It is a limited resource and when it runs out drivers crash the system.

This generally takes some time to do, so your system would have to be up for a while, or you would have to be running a program that is making a lot of demands on 1 driver that has the bug.

You will want to run resource monitor and watch for your nonpaged pool usage numbers go up without going back down.
If the program that is using the non paged pool is being called from a user program or service you might find that if you exit the program or
stop the service that the memory is returned back to the system. Otherwise you will have to reboot your machine to get the resources back.

generally, the offenders will be drivers for video cards or network cards. And virus programs with bugs in them.

oh, I guess i should say, do a virus scan and run malwarebytes to scan for malware.
you can also run a tool called poolmon.exe and watch then numbers creep up as you use the system
the numbers will each have a tag called a pooltag. you find the very high number of nonpaged pool used, write down the tag
then look in pooltag.txt to find the name of the owner of the tag to figure out what is using your data.
(or google for the tag)


-if you are unable to resolve the problem buy updates to drivers, then you have to run verifier.exe, turn on some error checking. set your system to do a full kernel dump, or full memory dump and wait for your system to bugcheck, it will produce a memory dump that has all the info to figure out the problem, and often it will stop the system at the beginning of the problem rather than at the end. The memory dump will be large, but it will have all the info to figure out the problem with just a few commands of the debugger. You can put it on a cloud share with public access and I will take a quick look for you.

m
0
l
February 18, 2014 10:03:28 AM

johnbl said:
There are various causes of this error, one would be that a buggy device driver has used all of your nonpaged pool in your system.
nonpaged pool means memory that the system has reserved for device drivers, it can not be swapped out of memory (paged to the harddrive)
It is a limited resource and when it runs out drivers crash the system.

This generally takes some time to do, so your system would have to be up for a while, or you would have to be running a program that is making a lot of demands on 1 driver that has the bug.

You will want to run resource monitor and watch for your nonpaged pool usage numbers go up without going back down.
If the program that is using the non paged pool is being called from a user program or service you might find that if you exit the program or
stop the service that the memory is returned back to the system. Otherwise you will have to reboot your machine to get the resources back.

generally, the offenders will be drivers for video cards or network cards. And virus programs with bugs in them.

oh, I guess i should say, do a virus scan and run malwarebytes to scan for malware.
you can also run a tool called poolmon.exe and watch then numbers creep up as you use the system
the numbers will each have a tag called a pooltag. you find the very high number of nonpaged pool used, write down the tag
then look in pooltag.txt to find the name of the owner of the tag to figure out what is using your data.
(or google for the tag)


-if you are unable to resolve the problem buy updates to drivers, then you have to run verifier.exe, turn on some error checking. set your system to do a full kernel dump, or full memory dump and wait for your system to bugcheck, it will produce a memory dump that has all the info to figure out the problem, and often it will stop the system at the beginning of the problem rather than at the end. The memory dump will be large, but it will have all the info to figure out the problem with just a few commands of the debugger. You can put it on a cloud share with public access and I will take a quick look for you.



Same here (code is 0x0000003b) reinstalled drivers and everyting... even stock-reseted motherboard... :(  nothing works... i'll try reinstalling windows and don't store the old files in case of a virus :( 
m
0
l
February 24, 2014 7:36:26 PM

alright, so i've gone through and reinstalled several drivers, done a full virus scan which removed two small tracking virus', and the issue keeps persisting. i have been getting two error codes, 0x00000050 and 0x0000003b, usually right after i close a specific game, but other times it's random. i'm going to run verifier.exe and see what that turns up, hopefully i won't have to reinstall windows or anything else annoying like that.

*update* okay so i ran verifier.exe, and the first time i ran it my computer crashed again with the error code 0x0000001E. my computer still isn't making crash reports, or they're being placed somewhere other than my root drive. i'm going to run another virus and malware scan and see if that turns something crazy up.
m
0
l
February 25, 2014 8:48:40 AM

okay so after running malwarebyte's which removed 5 malwares, i'm still getting random BSOD's. also, when i try to exit malwarebyte's my system BSOD's with the C4 code. i had to restart into safe mode and uninstall the program completely there. i've got several dump reports that i can upload now but i don't see anywhere to add files in comments =/

how do i go about checking these reports and figuring out how to fix the issues they show?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2014 10:35:41 AM

paste the images on imageshack, or put the files into a .zip folder and upload the .zip to filedropper
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2014 10:35:54 AM

or manually tell me the stop code associated
m
0
l
February 25, 2014 7:38:59 PM

since my computer started having this issue with crashing, i've had several stop codes:
0x0000003B, 0x000000C4, 0x00000050, 0x0000007E

i'm running a disk check on my hard drives now, and once i can figure out why my computer won't let me copy the memory dump files (even though i keep unchecking read-only it keeps resetting) i'll try to upload them to filedropper for use here. i'm also having a weird issue where windows updates won't download and when i try to do long downloads such as games my wireless router disconnects from the internet. hopefully this is a hardware rather than virus or software issue, however.

thanks again for the help. i'm about ready to wipe and reinstall windows.
m
0
l
February 26, 2014 12:56:08 AM

Should I keep some files (saved games, word docs, music/setups..) or should i remove EVERYTHING and start again? :( 
(after reinstalling win7)
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 26, 2014 11:02:58 AM

documents like word files, powerpoints, music, videos, pictures are all ok
m
0
l
February 27, 2014 12:30:40 AM

Beezy said:
documents like word files, powerpoints, music, videos, pictures are all ok


Thanks for the help... reinstalling windows..
m
0
l
March 4, 2014 3:00:18 PM

Hi Krink. Since there are several similarities to the problem I'm having right now (BSOD starting with system exception, and then page fault, happens when I alt tab sometimes, I'm very interested to know if your windows re-install helped.

Could you update us on your situation ?
m
0
l
March 5, 2014 12:47:18 AM

I would like an update as well. I've been having the same exact issue with the same BSOD associated with alt-tabbing from a full screen game. This doesn't happen when I'm playing WoW:WotLK, but it happens like with Bioshock and other resource demanding games.

What I noticed is my SLI wasn't turned on for a while because I guess the new GTX drivers turn them off when you download them. With this, I thought the drivers fixed the blue screening, until I realized I was only getting 40 fps in Thief. Since I've turned it back on a few days ago, the blue screens are back and now I'm more certain than before it has to do with SLI. Very curious if a solution was unreported...
m
0
l
March 5, 2014 9:52:06 AM

I had the same issue with a 7950... so it isn't necessarily SLI.
m
0
l
March 5, 2014 11:02:32 AM

Well it's possible to get a similar blue screen error, but do you get it when alt-tabbing after a few hours of game-play too? Do you get the other blue screens mentioned besides SSE?
m
0
l
March 5, 2014 11:20:42 AM

Ivanovan said:
Hi Krink. Since there are several similarities to the problem I'm having right now (BSOD starting with system exception, and then page fault, happens when I alt tab sometimes, I'm very interested to know if your windows re-install helped.

Could you update us on your situation ?


To be honnest I don't really know if it helped. I got it one time after reinstall but then it dissapeared. It might have been the CPU OC because I got the blue screen a hour after doing it.

m
0
l
!