Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Temperature Question Help please

Last response: in Components
Share
February 17, 2014 10:40:47 AM

I downloaded MSI Afterburner to monitor temps. My GPU temp while doing nothing just sitting at desktop is 14c and Playing Black Light Retribution is around 44-45c is this normal? Too hot are the readings incorrect?

More about : temperature question

February 17, 2014 10:43:46 AM

Sounds normal to me. Anything over 60 (other can correct me) would be worth the worry
m
0
l
February 17, 2014 10:46:11 AM

OK It seemed low to me I didn't know if the readings were messed up or not.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
February 17, 2014 10:53:19 AM

Download HWMonitor. These readings are too cool :D . Whats the ambient room temperature and what gpu?
m
0
l
February 17, 2014 10:58:52 AM

About 49°F in the room I'm in. And GPU is a Sapphire R9 270x Vapor-X OC.
m
0
l
February 17, 2014 11:01:03 AM

That doesn't sound unreasonable since the ambient temperature is about 9.5 degrees Celsius.
m
0
l
February 17, 2014 11:03:21 AM

Yea I'm in a basement with no carpet no heat or anything its freezing down here lol. I didn't know if that sounded right. The reason I'm asking is because I've been getting a black screen after about 2-3 hours of gaming and the sound loops in the background. So I thought my GPU was overheating. Case is Phantom 410 if that helps any.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
February 17, 2014 11:21:53 AM

Sean Quigley said:
About 49°F in the room I'm in. And GPU is a Sapphire R9 270x Vapor-X OC.


Since your ambient temp is low, these readings may be correct, just check with hwmonitor. Also this game may not be too taxing. BTW the thing is if hwmonitor also reports the same temps, then there is no need to worry because you have got one of the coolest graphics processing chip of the world. :) 
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
February 17, 2014 11:25:23 AM

Sean Quigley said:
Yea I'm in a basement with no carpet no heat or anything its freezing down here lol. I didn't know if that sounded right. The reason I'm asking is because I've been getting a black screen after about 2-3 hours of gaming and the sound loops in the background. So I thought my GPU was overheating. Case is Phantom 410 if that helps any.


Black screen is really not because of these temps. This is a cool status. Generally cards behave wierd when they reach 85-90C. Do you have sufficient PSU? (500W or higher) and latest drivers?

BTW are you that little drummer guy I saw on YT?
m
0
l
February 17, 2014 12:18:43 PM

Yup I have 600W PSU and have latest drivers installed. Could it be something to do with the OC?
And nah haha I did see him however very good.
I do play the drums though lol.
m
0
l
February 17, 2014 1:27:46 PM

Same temps on both MSI Afterburner and HWMonitor ran at same time as well. I realize the game might not be too taxing but it did black screen during so even if it's not taxing it still shut off.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
February 17, 2014 8:21:02 PM

Sean Quigley said:
Same temps on both MSI Afterburner and HWMonitor ran at same time as well. I realize the game might not be too taxing but it did black screen during so even if it's not taxing it still shut off.


Yes this is not due to overheat, if you have overclocked, check if it is stable with occt. (Check for errors by running the stress test for about 10 min). Also report temps.
m
0
l
February 18, 2014 9:16:25 AM

Lowered the Core clock about 40mhz and it seemz fine played for 5-6hours straight without any issues. Temps stayed consistent 44-45°C during game. Planet side 2 gives the same temperatures. Maybe I fixed it.

Stupid question the card came factory OC shouldn't have been stable? Or did they just mess it up?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
February 18, 2014 10:35:49 AM

Sean Quigley said:
Lowered the Core clock about 40mhz and it seemz fine played for 5-6hours straight without any issues. Temps stayed consistent 44-45°C during game. Planet side 2 gives the same temperatures. Maybe I fixed it.

Stupid question the card came factory OC shouldn't have been stable? Or did they just mess it up?


Kudos!! Good that your problem is solved. Factory overclocks are 99% stable. Maybe yours is the remaining 1% lot. There is no harm in reducing 40MHz if this stabilizes your performance. Real world performance will be reduced like 2-3 fps, thats not a big deal.

Pick my solution as answer if you think I helped you.
Share
!