Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What is the best cpu cooler under 50? (AM3+)

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 17, 2014 1:00:38 PM

My rig:
Motherboard- M5A97 LE R2.0
CPU- fx-8320
GPU- gtx 770 4gb with acx cooling
RAM- 8gb of Vengence RAM
PSU- CX600 by Corsair
Case- NZXT Switch 810
HDD- .5 tb (I think by Sandisk)





http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-HAVIK-Cooler-Dual-140MM/dp/B...


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



I know everyone says the 212 evo, but since my case has a windowed side panel, I want the cooler to look cool and perform well. The stock cooler is like a plane taking flight during games and I am mainly looking for quietness. I really like the NZXT because it would match the case design. What are your recommendations?

More about : cpu cooler am3

a b à CPUs
February 17, 2014 1:11:48 PM

Being really honest, if you want the quietness, out of the 3 you pointed out I wold go with the NZXT, not only because it would match the case, but because the 140mm fans on it would be quieter than the 120mm of the others. I was also looking at some reviews, and all of them stated that it does the job pretty well...
m
0
l
a c 179 à CPUs
February 17, 2014 1:32:27 PM

As rstoledo said the nzxt one would be best for its bigger fans.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - its the zalman cnps 9900max $50 keeps my 8320 nice and cool and when i turn to silent mode with my boards fan controller its dead silent and thats with it oc'd to 8350 speeds.

Or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - Phanteks Tc12dx $50 again, but has two 120mm fans that u can lower the rpms and get good performance. Friend uses on his 3770k works great for his 4.5ghz OC but can be noisy when fans are at max speed.

Also the Enermax T40 is good and the dark knight II from xigmatek. The CM hyper 212 evo is prob the best for the price
m
0
l
Related resources
February 17, 2014 2:47:10 PM

lazyboy947 said:
As rstoledo said the nzxt one would be best for its bigger fans.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - its the zalman cnps 9900max $50 keeps my 8320 nice and cool and when i turn to silent mode with my boards fan controller its dead silent and thats with it oc'd to 8350 speeds.

Or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - Phanteks Tc12dx $50 again, but has two 120mm fans that u can lower the rpms and get good performance. Friend uses on his 3770k works great for his 4.5ghz OC but can be noisy when fans are at max speed.

Also the Enermax T40 is good and the dark knight II from xigmatek. The CM hyper 212 evo is prob the best for the price


I don't usually worry about the size of parts that go into my case, but would the NZXT Havik clear my RAM?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2014 3:16:10 PM

saxguy67 said:
lazyboy947 said:
As rstoledo said the nzxt one would be best for its bigger fans.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - its the zalman cnps 9900max $50 keeps my 8320 nice and cool and when i turn to silent mode with my boards fan controller its dead silent and thats with it oc'd to 8350 speeds.

Or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - Phanteks Tc12dx $50 again, but has two 120mm fans that u can lower the rpms and get good performance. Friend uses on his 3770k works great for his 4.5ghz OC but can be noisy when fans are at max speed.

Also the Enermax T40 is good and the dark knight II from xigmatek. The CM hyper 212 evo is prob the best for the price


I don't usually worry about the size of parts that go into my case, but would the NZXT Havik clear my RAM?


I was looking over some pictures that google brought me when I searched for images of : "M5A97 LE R2.0 NZXT Havik", and on some of them I saw the cooler going as further as the memory slot closer to the CPU Socket. I cannot tell for sure if it would go over and force you to change the memory from the socket it is placed at. And the others coolers you pointed out may do the same as well...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2014 6:12:59 PM

saxguy67 said:
My rig:
Motherboard- M5A97 LE R2.0
CPU- fx-8320
GPU- gtx 770 4gb with acx cooling
RAM- 8gb of Vengence RAM
PSU- CX600 by Corsair
Case- NZXT Switch 810
HDD- .5 tb (I think by Sandisk)


.




http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-HAVIK-Cooler-Dual-140MM/dp/B...


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



I know everyone says the 212 evo, but since my case has a windowed side panel, I want the cooler to look cool and perform well. The stock cooler is like a plane taking flight during games and I am mainly looking for quietness. I really like the NZXT because it would match the case design. What are your recommendations?



Cooler Master Hyper T4 so easy to install on AMD motherboards no need to take off the backplate

m
0
l
February 17, 2014 7:45:21 PM

rstoledo said:
saxguy67 said:
lazyboy947 said:
As rstoledo said the nzxt one would be best for its bigger fans.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - its the zalman cnps 9900max $50 keeps my 8320 nice and cool and when i turn to silent mode with my boards fan controller its dead silent and thats with it oc'd to 8350 speeds.

Or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - Phanteks Tc12dx $50 again, but has two 120mm fans that u can lower the rpms and get good performance. Friend uses on his 3770k works great for his 4.5ghz OC but can be noisy when fans are at max speed.

Also the Enermax T40 is good and the dark knight II from xigmatek. The CM hyper 212 evo is prob the best for the price


I don't usually worry about the size of parts that go into my case, but would the NZXT Havik clear my RAM?


I was looking over some pictures that google brought me when I searched for images of : "M5A97 LE R2.0 NZXT Havik", and on some of them I saw the cooler going as further as the memory slot closer to the CPU Socket. I cannot tell for sure if it would go over and force you to change the memory from the socket it is placed at. And the others coolers you pointed out may do the same as well...


Do you think if I moved my ram to the farthest slots from the cpu it would fit?
m
0
l
a c 179 à CPUs
February 17, 2014 7:59:10 PM

Possibly, but if u have two sticks u may lose dual channeling if u put both in different lanes, refer to motherboard manual for the correct configuration.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2014 2:12:56 AM

Not really to the farthest ones, but if you count starting on the cpu socket, if you use on the 2nd and 4th (this way you would keep the dual channeling feature), that should solve it and the cooler would fit. Also, recall that it may or may not cover the first slot. And by the images only that one.

I do not own one of those, as I do not own the same motherboard you do, what I am saying is based on images/comments/reviews posted over the web about it.
m
0
l
February 19, 2014 12:14:47 PM

So between the zalman cnps 9900max and the Nzxt Havik, which would you choose???
m
0
l
a c 179 à CPUs
February 19, 2014 5:42:54 PM

the cnps 9900max i know wont cover ur ram as it doesnt cover mine on a crosshair IV formula, its not a wide cooler like the havik. the havik might cool better as its dual 140mm fans but the size, i would find benchmarks on temps and noise on review sites and see if the size of the havik is worth the size if ur board and ram fits it.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 20, 2014 4:53:16 AM

I would take the Havik, it would look cooler on your rig, although it may cover a single Ram Slot, you would still be able to use 3 of them (and there is a chance it wont even cover the first one), and also would run quieter than some other options due to the 140mm fans.
Share
!