Solved

How to install win7 on new ssd onto a computer that has win8 already installed on hdd?

I have a new dell xps 8700 that came with win 8 installed on the harddrive. I want to install a new ssd and install win7 on it and boot from this ssd. Are there detailed instructions for this?
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about install win7 ssd computer win8 installed hdd
  1. are you trying to dual boot Win7 with Win8 or just completely replace Windows 8 with Windows 7?
  2. Best answer
    Remove the HDD, then boot to your Windows 7 disk and install it on the SSD. Then re-connect the HDD. This is because frequently when two drives are present, Windows will install the bootloader on one disk and the operating system on the other, so when you remove what you consider your spare disk, Windows has a problem booting.
  3. In addition to what mbreslin1054 said you might want to go ahead and download the Windows 7 drivers from Dell and burn them to a CD or store them on a flash drive. You will want to install those drivers after you install Windows 7.
  4. I have not decided if I want dual boot. What would be different from the above answers?
    Thanks too for all the quick responses.
  5. If you decide to dual boot, you will have to create a separate partition on your SSD (not desirable due to the limited space), or you would install Windows 7 on a different disk than Windows 8. It's been a long time since I've done it, but back then it was important to install the later operating system last, because it knows about older OSes, whereas older OSes aren't familiar with the new one. I suspect the boot process changes somewhat with newer operating systems too, so you want the newer one in control of the boot process, hence it is installed last. This may not be the case with Win7 and Win8, I don't know, perhaps others are more knowledgeable than I.

    The way it works once both are installed is that you'll have to make a choice upon bootup of which OS to install. It will slow down your boot somewhat but that's just the price you pay for this kind of flexibility.
  6. RehaBJunkiE said:
    are you trying to dual boot Win7 with Win8 or just completely replace Windows 8 with Windows 7?


    I do not know if you saw that I added that I was not sure yet since I am still weighing my options.

    Thanks
  7. kenrivers said:
    In addition to what mbreslin1054 said you might want to go ahead and download the Windows 7 drivers from Dell and burn them to a CD or store them on a flash drive. You will want to install those drivers after you install Windows 7.


    Your reply reminded me about necessary drivers which may be different from win8 and making them available when needed.

    Thanks
  8. MathewsRL said:
    kenrivers said:
    In addition to what mbreslin1054 said you might want to go ahead and download the Windows 7 drivers from Dell and burn them to a CD or store them on a flash drive. You will want to install those drivers after you install Windows 7.


    Your reply reminded me about necessary drivers which may be different from win8 and making them available when needed.

    Thanks

    You're welcome. Glad I could help.
  9. kenrivers said:
    MathewsRL said:
    kenrivers said:
    In addition to what mbreslin1054 said you might want to go ahead and download the Windows 7 drivers from Dell and burn them to a CD or store them on a flash drive. You will want to install those drivers after you install Windows 7.


    Your reply reminded me about necessary drivers which may be different from win8 and making them available when needed.

    Thanks

    You're welcome. Glad I could help.


    One final question. Would it be better to remove win8 or does it matter? That way when I decided to go to win8 I just remove the ssd and boot from the hdd and update drivers.
  10. You could dual boot another way...
    Install 7 to the ssd with the win8 hdd disconnected.
    After 7 is installed you can reconnect the HDD and when you want to boot to win8 all you do is press the function key, during pc startup, that allows you to select the boot device and you simply select the hdd.
  11. popatim said:
    You could dual boot another way...
    Install 7 to the ssd with the win8 hdd disconnected.
    After 7 is installed you can reconnect the HDD and when you want to boot to win8 all you do is press the function key, during pc startup, that allows you to select the boot device and you simply select the hdd.


    May do that and save all the trouble of deleting and reinstalling later. Thanks
  12. RehaBJunkiE said:
    are you trying to dual boot Win7 with Win8 or just completely replace Windows 8 with Windows 7?


    I want to completely replace windows 8 with windows 7
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Dell Studio Xps Computers Storage Hard Drives