FX 8120 Overheating Easily in Games

Skeeter206

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
I've recently started having issues with my pc, I bought it a year and a half ago, it's a pre built cyberpower pc. I bought it because it was on sale for only $450 dollars and it had everything I really needed at the time. I recently upgraded the gpu from a Radeon 6670 to an ASUS Radeon R9 280X. Since upgrading I've started playing The Witcher 2 again because I could play it with high/ ultra settings, but I'm now running into overheating problems. Two times in a row the game crashed about 10-20 minutes into playing. I HWiNFO and MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU and CPU % Usage and Temperature, the GPU runs pretty normal, after 10 minutes the GPU will be at about 45-50C while the CPU will be easily reaching 65 degrees Celsius which I've read is the cpu max temperature.

My question is why do you guys think this is happening? I have one front intake fan, one side intake fan and one back exhaust, I'm thinking about adding another side and one or two top exhaust fans, but I don't think case fans will drastically change the temperature. Should I buy a new CPU Heatsink/fan to replace the stock fan or do you think I need a new CPU all together? I've also heard of problems with the PSU, I'll be replacing that regardless of what I do with the CPU.

Quick Update: The %Usage in game is not too high either, only really getting into the 30% range, Not sure why it's getting so hot at such low usage levels, without any overclocking.

What's your power supply? For a $450 prebuilt, that's almost always my first suspect, even for something like this.

It makes me confused that the CPU is hotter than the GPU, though - it should absolutely the opposite.

I think the problem is probably that the heatsink has lost its seal up to the CPU - either that or it used really shoddy thermal past that's turned to dust.

Has your computer been moved or shaken recently? If you're willing, and have a little thermal past, try reseating the cooler.