i5 4670 high temps while running prime 95

Bryan Melo

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
So let me start off is to why I ran prime 95, to start with I had got a bsod and it was due to hal.dll+12a3b which is said to be hardware related. It was the first time ever getting a bsod message of this kind. So I did a memtest with like 8 passes and that works fine, gpu temps are really good. cpu temps when gaming gets up to about 68-75 degrees c. idle temps are in the low 30's. When I ran prime 95 small ffts I was getting temps of about 87 degrees c after only 10 mins or so, so i stopped the process. It seems like the minute i test it temps go up rapidly, I've used both hwmonitor and coretemp. I've heard these processors run hot. The thing is my computer is only 4 months old, it's very clean inside with good airflow. Everything is stock and it is not overclocked, my cpu uses the stock intel heatsink as well. My question is should I just ignore the bsod, because the computer seems to be running fine or should i be worried. I was thinking about replacing the stock cooler with a Hyper 212 EVO.

Solution
A stock cooler is just meant for standard usage.
If you are running a program that is by design meant to load a processor with a higher load than it would ever normally experience, you are going to see very high (and possibly unsafe) temperatures.

Your computer has bluescreened once in FOUR months, chalk it up to a random event more than likely brought on by software. It's nothing to be concerned about.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
A stock cooler is just meant for standard usage.
If you are running a program that is by design meant to load a processor with a higher load than it would ever normally experience, you are going to see very high (and possibly unsafe) temperatures.

Your computer has bluescreened once in FOUR months, chalk it up to a random event more than likely brought on by software. It's nothing to be concerned about.

Solution