Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Upgrading from Intel Core i5 3470 to Intel Core i5 4670. Worth it?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 18, 2014 10:48:19 PM

Heyo,

I have been reading up and people say that the Haswell isn't that much more powerful than IB. Is it worth the upgrade from Intel Core i5 3470 to Intel Core i5 4670? Will I notice any differences e.g. power consumption, output, performance etc.?

Thanks,

:) 

EDIT: If I get the Haswell will this cooler fit?: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X CPU Cooler.
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2014 10:53:43 PM

Definitely not worth the cost. You're talking about around 5% difference. If you really want to upgrade, go with an i7.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2014 11:01:12 PM

Dont upgrade...
1) Performance wise very littele diff as described above post.
2) u also need to change the motherboard which does not justify the cost vs performance criteria.
so dont go for it.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 18, 2014 11:11:48 PM

Alright then. So If I upgraded to a different CPU would Intel Core i5 3570 be a better upgrade choice?


EDIT: Or would: Intel Core i7 3770 be better? Than both?
m
0
l
a c 93 à CPUs
February 18, 2014 11:13:22 PM

No, what is the reason you want a new CPU?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2014 11:16:17 PM

it isn't worth it
m
0
l
February 18, 2014 11:18:54 PM

if you are using your PC for gaming, than no processor will make much difference compared with what you got. With very many money spent on new CPU and MOBO the actual gameplay difference will be unnoticeable, as others said, under 10 % more fps, than you current CPU.

What I suggest you is trade you CPU for a K version, or even upgrade it to a 3570k. With very little effort OC it to 4.0 - 4.2 GHz and you wont need more than until something groundbreaking in CPU technology appears.
Cheers
m
0
l
February 18, 2014 11:34:44 PM

clau_aclx said:
if you are using your PC for gaming, than no processor will make much difference compared with what you got. With very many money spent on new CPU and MOBO the actual gameplay difference will be unnoticeable, as others said, under 10 % more fps, than you current CPU.

What I suggest you is trade you CPU for a K version, or even upgrade it to a 3570k. With very little effort OC it to 4.0 - 4.2 GHz and you wont need more than until something groundbreaking in CPU technology appears.
Cheers


Do you know any safe guides to OC that CPU? I have already fried a GPU.
m
0
l
a c 93 à CPUs
February 18, 2014 11:40:37 PM

Don't buy the 3570k. If you are going to buy a new chip and wants to overclock atleast go with 3770k.

Also which motherboard do you have?
m
0
l
February 18, 2014 11:42:39 PM

vmN said:
Don't buy the 3570k. If you are going to buy a new chip and wants to overclock atleast go with 3770k.

Also which motherboard do you have?



ASUS P8B75-M Motherboard

m
0
l

Best solution

a c 93 à CPUs
February 18, 2014 11:44:00 PM

Stay with the CPU you have. There are no reason to buy a K version now.
Share
February 19, 2014 12:15:36 AM

Protokohl said:
clau_aclx said:
if you are using your PC for gaming, than no processor will make much difference compared with what you got. With very many money spent on new CPU and MOBO the actual gameplay difference will be unnoticeable, as others said, under 10 % more fps, than you current CPU.

What I suggest you is trade you CPU for a K version, or even upgrade it to a 3570k. With very little effort OC it to 4.0 - 4.2 GHz and you wont need more than until something groundbreaking in CPU technology appears.
Cheers


Do you know any safe guides to OC that CPU? I have already fried a GPU.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclockin...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265056-29-2600k-250...

vmN said:
Don't buy the 3570k. If you are going to buy a new chip and wants to overclock atleast go with 3770k.

Also which motherboard do you have?


If the rig is for gaming, there is very little reason to choose 3770k. You're the CPU expert so you know better, However in the performance - price ratio, the performance is close while price is not.

So 3 options are left :
stay with current gig
sell CPU and invest a little more in a cheap but powerfull K version cpu
Invest much more but CPU-wise the gains will be marginal from the second option.
m
0
l
a c 93 à CPUs
February 19, 2014 12:20:34 AM

The reason I suggested the 3770k, is that is would be foolish to go from 3570 to a 3570k, he might aswell spend slightly more and go for a 3770(k), but that is foolish too.

He shouldn't be looking at a K series CPU because of his motherboard.
m
0
l
February 19, 2014 12:24:40 AM

He has the 3470. But you are right, I didnt see the mobo part.

My last intervention : keep your processor, it's good enough. For the small difference of performance that you would get with a powerfull processor, the cost would be too big for the gains.
m
0
l
!