$500-600 Pre-Built Multimedia PC

aaron_c

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
My father's old desktop finally but the dust recently. He wants to spend 500-600 or so on a new, pre-built desktop.

All he does with his computer is check emails/browse the web, and more importantly, wants to be able to stream live sports on his 72" HD TV. He prefers Dell but that's probably not a definite requirement. He has no interest in building one right now (unfortunately).

So far, my best recommendation for him is the Alienware X51 base model. It's 650.00 but has the dedicated graphics card for better video streaming. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Solution
If you don't need a monitor, just a HTPC system then you can go with a custom built system with a Kaveri APU, I think it will cost much less. Resolution is more relevant when comparing GPUs.
Edit: He can get all the parts shipped and I think putting them together won't be much of a hassle. You can look for systems based on older generation APUs. If that is not possible then I guess anything with a 4th generation i3 and HD4000 or an entry level graphic card will have to do.

aaron_c

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Corrected one bit of info - it's a 72". Will the Kaveri APU still handle it with no problems? It looks like Dell may be out of the question, I don't see any Dell's with that.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
If you don't need a monitor, just a HTPC system then you can go with a custom built system with a Kaveri APU, I think it will cost much less. Resolution is more relevant when comparing GPUs.
Edit: He can get all the parts shipped and I think putting them together won't be much of a hassle. You can look for systems based on older generation APUs. If that is not possible then I guess anything with a 4th generation i3 and HD4000 or an entry level graphic card will have to do.

Solution