i7 4770k frequency dropping even during high usage?

cpu: i7 4770k
motherboard: sabertooth z87

we tried to turn off all the c states stuffs and power saving things and its frequency drops and slows downs the pc even during rendering gaming or anything i do

can anybody help?

how do lock my cpu frequency to 3.5ghz and stop it from going down to .799ghz
8 answers Last reply
More about 4770k frequency dropping high usage
  1. Have you checked your temps? Intel Speed step disabled?
  2. rolli59 said:
    Have you checked your temps? Intel Speed step disabled?


    yes i turn that off but still no changes
  3. Check your CPU temperature, looks like it may be overheating and thermal throttling.
  4. rolli59 said:
    Check your CPU temperature, looks like it may be overheating and thermal throttling.


    the max temperature is around 60 even in rendering .i use xspc water cooling custom.my problems is that its frequency drops down to 799mhz at ramdom even ifs full load
  5. Something is causing it either the board or the CPU temp since speed step is turned off (means full speed)!
  6. Abukuma said:
    rolli59 said:
    Check your CPU temperature, looks like it may be overheating and thermal throttling.


    the max temperature is around 60 even in rendering .i use xspc water cooling custom.my problems is that its frequency drops down to 799mhz at ramdom even ifs full load




    How are you observing this?

    Other:
    1) Try updating your motherboard BIOS, then
    2) Click "XMP" and save those settings

    I'm aware that power management is still on. I just want to know if this works properly.

    *If you still have problems, try changing the CPU MINIMUM Power to 100% in Power Management. That's not guaranteed to work though as it's a slightly different feature.

    I've frankly never seen this issue.
  7. Update:
    I did find THIS info: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/115677-no-matter-what-i-do-im-stuck-800mhz-i7-4770-ga-z87x-oc-force.html

    Specifically:
    "just wanted to let you know the following: I also was struggling with the same build as you (same mobo and cpu) and couldn't figure out why the freq wouldn't go above 800MHz. After much playing around, updating BIOS etc etc I realised that there was a switch in the motherboard called TGR that was in position 2, this makes the mobo follow the lowest CPU ratio defined by the CPU, thus the 800MHz. Change it to position 1 which allows the Target frequency to be set by the BIOS Setup (you can check this info in the motherboard User's Manual, page 25.)"

    *If that doesn't help, then be aware that I believe the issue is with your MOTHERBOARD somehow. If "XMP" doesn't work, then read your Motherboard MANUAL to see if there's some CPU feature like above.

    Again, I still recommend updating the BIOS regardless if an update exists. If not, and still stuck try resetting the CMOS (see manual).
  8. photonboy said:
    Update:
    I did find THIS info: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/115677-no-matter-what-i-do-im-stuck-800mhz-i7-4770-ga-z87x-oc-force.html

    Specifically:
    "just wanted to let you know the following: I also was struggling with the same build as you (same mobo and cpu) and couldn't figure out why the freq wouldn't go above 800MHz. After much playing around, updating BIOS etc etc I realised that there was a switch in the motherboard called TGR that was in position 2, this makes the mobo follow the lowest CPU ratio defined by the CPU, thus the 800MHz. Change it to position 1 which allows the Target frequency to be set by the BIOS Setup (you can check this info in the motherboard User's Manual, page 25.)"

    *If that doesn't help, then be aware that I believe the issue is with your MOTHERBOARD somehow. If "XMP" doesn't work, then read your Motherboard MANUAL to see if there's some CPU feature like above.

    Again, I still recommend updating the BIOS regardless if an update exists. If not, and still stuck try resetting the CMOS (see manual).


    dude that looks like the solution but but i dont think my motherboard has a TGR thing i cant find that on the manual or the internet. this is my MoBo Sabertooth Z87 http://www.cpusolutions.com/store/pc/ASUS-Desktop-Board-Haswell-SABERTOOTH-Z87-LGA1150-Intel-Z87-Express-Chipset-Socket-H3-LGA-1150-New-p3501.htm#.Uwf9Z_mSySo
Ask a new question

Read More

Sabertooth CPUs Motherboards Intel i7