2133 mhz RAM in core i5 4670k

Goodfaler

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014
Hi! I want to install 2133 mhz memory (2x4gb) Voltage: 1.65V CL9 http://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Sniper-240-Pin-Desktop-F3-17000CL9D-8GBSR/dp/B0073CRUTC/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392882746&sr=1-15&keywords=G.SKILL+Sniper+Series+8GB
on mobo MSI Z87-G45 Gaming with core i5 4670k.
Yes, I've read a few topics about this problem here, but I really need to know - do I need to overclock my cpu to make RAM working on 2133mhz? Is there any XMP profiles for cpu? Will this small overclock harm my cpu or will it affect its lifetime?

Solution

You do not need to overclock the CPU, but you do need to overclock the memory controller. There should be no substantial impact on life expectancy, just a tad bit more heat than usual. I've been running DDR3-2133 in my PC for years without issue.

Goodfaler

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014

Thanx, hope you're wright about overclocking, I saw a lot of discussions about it here, there're posts like "Your particuar CPU might, most 4670Ks can carry 1866 at stock, quite a few can carry 2133, some need a sligh OC (gen 4.0 or 4.1 which is simply a matter of changing your multiplier,(and possibly adding a touch to vCore, though not normally)".
Will there be any difference in games between 1866 and 2133? In my country they cost nearly the same, so is there any reason picking up 2133?

Most of that's spot on. The Intel Haswell microprocessors are only rated to dual-channel DDR3-1600, and this is what they are tested for. However, it is possible to exceed this if you're willing to make a few sacrifices. Some microprocessors will be duds, but I've never seen one that can't exceed DDR3-2400 with a little bit of work. I've seen a few low end Sandybridge i3 microprocessors which couldn't exceed DDR3-2000, but that was several years ago.

The DDR3-1600 rating is the point that Intel feels the microprocessor will meet a certain level of data stability. If stability is not of paramount concern, speeds above this may be obtained at the cost of a slight amount of stability over time. The memory may appear to be completely stable from a functional standpoint, but you may experience a few odd crashes that just can't be explained. Maybe two or three a year, nothing to worry about as a gamer.

Most of the time, all that's needed to get it "stable enough" for speeds at or under DDR3-2133 is enabling the XMP profile. If more than one DIMM is used per channel, the voltage to the memory controller and PLL may need to be increased by between 50 mV and 100 mV, this is necessary for my microprocessor.

As for the performance increase, it will be slight and it will be very case by case but it will be there. I'm told by a couple of other folks around here that the Haswell microprocessors in particular do like high speed memory.

Solution