£500 ish Upgrade

PFFAFL

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Hi,

So my current build is running pretty slow, the CPU/Mobo/RAM hasn't been upgraded in about 5 years causing games to start grinding a bit. Hence I'm looking to upgrade. As it's been so long and I've not really kept up to date my part knowledge is pretty lacking. So I put it to you guys, can you help? I'm also toying with the idea of a more compact micro ATX build just so I don't have to have a tower anymore so 2 builds for each option would be great; the micro ATX case isn't included in that budget, I'd get that after if I was to go down that route. Thanks in advance!

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next month

Budget Range: £500-£600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Primarily gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, CPU cooler, Mobo, RAM

Do you need to buy OS: No

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Additional Comments: Quiet running, nice aesthetics, possibly water cooled to cut down a bit on the noise?

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Current build is really running slow

Solution
Wasn't a hundred percent sure of the requirements so ive chucked together a list of decent parts that should work fine in conjunction with each other:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.94 @ Amazon UK) - If going down the intel route and ignoring the i7s this is probably the best cpu for gaming, however if you're not looking to overclock then the i5 4570 gives you a lot of performance for a relatively low price (in comparison) meaning less has to be spent on cooling and a mobo

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£86.50 @ Amazon UK) i don't know about coolers (especially water) but i do know that this one by corsair is pretty decent (sorry i couldn't go into much detail)

Motherboard: Asus...

PFFAFL

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
My current system is:

CPU: E8400
MOBO: P5Q-E
RAM: 4 GB OCZ Reaper
GPU: ATI 5870 2GB
PSU: 620W Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 620W
Case: Silverstone Fortress
Storage: 3TB + 2TB storage drives, 120GB SSD boot drive

I was looking to just upgrade the CPU and mobo tbh

James_

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
Wasn't a hundred percent sure of the requirements so ive chucked together a list of decent parts that should work fine in conjunction with each other:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.94 @ Amazon UK) - If going down the intel route and ignoring the i7s this is probably the best cpu for gaming, however if you're not looking to overclock then the i5 4570 gives you a lot of performance for a relatively low price (in comparison) meaning less has to be spent on cooling and a mobo

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£86.50 @ Amazon UK) i don't know about coolers (especially water) but i do know that this one by corsair is pretty decent (sorry i couldn't go into much detail)

Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£106.99 @ Amazon UK) I went for micro atx because, well i don't know actually but for the price of this board it is a pretty decent performer allowing for stable overclocks and all of that

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£64.99 @ Amazon UK) 1600mhz ram is only really whats needed in most games, delivering on performance while sticking at a relatively low price, i chose this because it is fairly low profile meaning space saved in a micro atx configuration

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£64.98 @ Novatech) this case has pretty good cooling and features such as fan controls and ssd mounts hidden away at the back

Total: £487.40

I don't know if this is what you were asking for but I hope it covers it to an extent.

A really good website worth looking at is https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ this allows you to put configurations together while telling you if there compatible and showing other review people have put of components

Solution

+1 to the PCPartPicker suggestion; it also constantly updates with the cheapest deals available.