$300 Laptop Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylore12

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Hey so I'm looking for a laptop to buy for my mother who just does everyday normal things on a laptop. She browses the internet and pays build while shopping. So she doesn't need anything special but the one thing I'm worried about is the 11 inch laptops. I want to get her a normal sized laptop with good speed but I'm not sure if shell like the 11 inch but you can include it thank you

Solution
There's only one drawback to a Chromebook, if you can live with it: It's just one big browser. All apps run in a web browser, Google Chrome to be specific. There is no Windows operating system, so you will not be able to install or run any Windows programs. If that's not a problem then a Chromebook is a great idea.

Well, it is true that software runs in the browser. However, browsers aren't what they used to be. Unless you're a gamer, how much time do you spend on the internet/word-processing? Think about it.
Remember, there are also offline apps too.
The Chromebook has replacement apps for many windows functions which work very well, like text-editing, presentation making, filling in spreadsheets, communicating using VOIP with...

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
If you have a Micro Center store anywhere near you, they are a good source for cheap laptops, as is Staples. I know two people who bought a $279 Dell 15 inch laptop a couple of months ago, the same model, both on sale at Staples, but I noticed that Micro Center had the same model on sale. It wasn't fast, but it was a quad-core AMD, not as fast as Intel but for web browsing and word processing, it gets the job done.

However, I suspect you're going to have watch for sales to get one for $300 or less.

If you have a Staples of an Office Depot/Max near you, go to their websites and watch for weekly sales on entry-level laptops. Just beware their hard-sell on extended warranties. They are a huge money-maker for the stores, which means it's all profit for them and of no use for you, so whatever you do, don't buy one. It's a waste of money.

Guavas

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
What about a chromebook? They're fast, portable, easy to use, virus-free and have a great battery life. They also have Google Docs for word-processing, presentations and spreadsheets.
Furthermore, you'll get 100 GB of Google drive space.
Word of warning: Don't buy one secondhand, as you might miss out on the 100 GB of Google drive space.
If you have any questions regarding Chromebooks, just ask.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
There's only one drawback to a Chromebook, if you can live with it: It's just one big browser. All apps run in a web browser, Google Chrome to be specific. There is no Windows operating system, so you will not be able to install or run any Windows programs. If that's not a problem then a Chromebook is a great idea.

Guavas

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

Well, it is true that software runs in the browser. However, browsers aren't what they used to be. Unless you're a gamer, how much time do you spend on the internet/word-processing? Think about it.
Remember, there are also offline apps too.
The Chromebook has replacement apps for many windows functions which work very well, like text-editing, presentation making, filling in spreadsheets, communicating using VOIP with several others in HD, etc.
Yes, there are programs which Chrome OS won't run. But how many of those programs will be of use for Taylore12's mother? Next to that, how many will run on a 300$ PC ? (chances are you'll be stuck with a AMD E1 with 1.0 GHz {remember 'good speed' was specified}, I'd like to see 4K video editing on that)
Honestly, for someone who is just looking for getting the basics (and a little extra), an easy to use UI, awesome features and speed, get a Chromebook.

I fix and sell computers; I own all types of computers running the main 5 OS's. When I sell a computer to someone, I make sure that they get what they need, and don't pay more for anything they don't want/need, and have never heard anyone complain. Chromebooks are brilliant laptops.

Solution

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Good points. I would only take exception to the characterization of the $300 PC as one having an AMD E1 1.0 GHz. The two $279 Dell laptops I bought last December contained an Intel Celeron processor 1017U (2M Cache, 1.6 GHz) and Intel HD 4000 graphics, which is way better than the AMD E1. Way better.

And who's mother is going to be editing 4K video on this? Why did you bring that into the conversation about a low-end PC for someone's mother? I'd like to see you edit 4K video on a Chrombook.

Status
Not open for further replies.