7970 + Copper Shim + Arctic Twin Turbo 2 cooler = 90oC+ temps!

Kaltern

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
I've recently fitted the above cooler to my XFX reference 7970, as the noise on the reference cooler (as we all know) is horrid.

I'm very happy with the sound etc, but I just cannot get a stable temp on this card, even with underclocking. I have to use a copper shim to ensure the heatsink is touching the chip, and I'm reasonably confident this is the case, but whenever the card goes under reasonably heavy load, it creeps up to and past the 90oC mark, eventually being throttled due to heat.

I have of course ensured all VRAM is covered with heatsinks, but I noticed that one of the voltage regulators isn't 100% covered. Would this cause something like Speedfan to report a high temp, and would this also cause the throttling, or is it likely to be something else?

xzerqiin

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
Hi I used kraken G10 + Thermaltake 2.0 water extreme on my Sapphire 7970 OC boost (blue PCB).

I also experienced that problem.
1) it could be that your copper shim is small, it should be 28.5 x 28.5 x 0.5mm or you could custom puzzle like what I did 2x (15 x 15 x 0.5mm) + 2x (15 x 7 x 0.5mm)
2) it could be that your using too much thermal paste, it should be not more than a point size (like using a pencil and hight is about nothing) between CORE and SHIM, then between SHIM and WATER COOLER should be about 2/3 circumference in the middle of the water cooler copper.
3) tighten the 4 screws in slow motion and in cross order (ex. 1->3->2->4) until you can't turn it without using significant strong force or until meeting good resistance, also make sure you don't bend your PCB. The rational is to squeeze out the thermal pastes between the core, shim, and water cooler copper that they all are sticking together and that the thermal paste will only fill in the rough parts of the coppers.

*found this out after trying various test. I'm now running my card at 1250Mhz Core (1.3v), 1800Mhz Mem (1.65v), 49-50deg C under load @ 22deg C ambient temp. VRMs @ 47deg C under load.