Using HD 3850 with component only older flat screen t.v.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
A friend just contacted me yesterday with a question re: using their HD 3850 with a component older flat screen t.v. First of all I know that both the computer, and that particular video card work perfectly as I used them myself with an old VGA monitor about 6 days ago. What is happening is that they use the component cable from proper round connection on video card and plug the component connections into the back of the t.v. They get a b+w XP start-up screen, and then no pic at all. I am guessing that maybe they need to use the remote and change auxillary settings on t.v. to jive with gpu, or something like that, but I really do not know. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012

Okay, thank you. So even though the video card has the component connection, and the t.v. is component, I still need an adapter/converter?

BlacKHawK3

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

Can you link the exact video card? RGB component outputs aren't common on cards.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012

Okay, here is more info. It is a 7 pin s-video connection on the back of the video card. The card comes with the component video adapter cord so I am assuming that this video card has component capability.

BlacKHawK3

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

That would seem likely. Getting Windows to recognize a TV can be difficult, sometimes you have to force detection, and sometimes it never deducts anything. It's possible to force output to a TV even if it's not detected, if you know the resolution and refresh rate the TV can display.