Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Good Build for my Friend! £650 Budget.

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 21, 2014 10:39:35 AM

Hi, so I made a thread like this before however now my friend has changed his budget to £600. He needs an OS and monitor. He already has a Keyboard & Mouse. He will not be overclocking.

He plays games like BF4, Garry's Mod & DayZ and Minecraft w/ a lot of mods.
I made this build for him but I just want to check if it was any good and to see if you guys could possible come up with another build that was much better than what I picked.

Thanks :D 

EDIT:

This build is ONLY for games. No rendering or recording.
February 21, 2014 10:46:11 AM

That's a pretty good build. 2 things though.

Change that HDD to a Western Digital caviar blue or a hitachi.

See if the XFX 550W PSU is cheaper, right now in the states it is at an amazing price and is a better PSU, but the one you have will do fine if the XFX is more expensive.
m
0
l

Best solution

February 21, 2014 10:50:47 AM

Went a little over, sorry bout that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£77.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard (£73.44 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£54.98 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£176.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Zalman Z5 ATX Mid Tower Case (£33.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£39.92 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.83 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£73.99 @ Dabs)
Total: £602.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-21 18:50 GMT+0000)
Share
Related resources
February 21, 2014 10:51:39 AM

woltej1 said:
That's a pretty good build. 2 things though.

Change that HDD to a Western Digital caviar blue or a hitachi.

See if the XFX 550W PSU is cheaper, right now in the states it is at an amazing price and is a better PSU, but the one you have will do fine if the XFX is more expensive.


I'm thinking about changing the GTX 760 to an r9 270x because they both perform well and the r9 270x is cheaper so it will probably go down to about £650. Also, is a Non-Modular PSU as good as a Semi-Modular PSU because my other friend - not the one making the build - says that a Semi-Modular one is much better.
m
0
l
February 21, 2014 10:54:38 AM

Pineapple20 said:
woltej1 said:
That's a pretty good build. 2 things though.

Change that HDD to a Western Digital caviar blue or a hitachi.

See if the XFX 550W PSU is cheaper, right now in the states it is at an amazing price and is a better PSU, but the one you have will do fine if the XFX is more expensive.


I'm thinking about changing the GTX 760 to an r9 270x because they both perform well and the r9 270x is cheaper so it will probably go down to about £650. Also, is a Non-Modular PSU as good as a Semi-Modular PSU because my other friend - not the one making the build - says that a Semi-Modular one is much better.


Just keep in mind if your bud ever wants to record some game play then his Nvidia GPU will allow for Shadowplay and therefore impose less stress on the CPU and GPU decreasing FPS drop compared to the FRAPS or BandiCam programs etc. :D 

Theoretical performance differences.

m
0
l
February 21, 2014 10:55:44 AM

Performance wise there is not difference, but when trying to make a clean build going with modular is much easier. I only recommend it because there is a quality difference between the 2 and the higher quality one is $30 cheaper in the US right now.

I would try to stick with the 760, they are fairly similar, but the 760 is better hands down.
m
0
l
February 21, 2014 12:01:13 PM

veladem said:
Pineapple20 said:
woltej1 said:
That's a pretty good build. 2 things though.

Change that HDD to a Western Digital caviar blue or a hitachi.

See if the XFX 550W PSU is cheaper, right now in the states it is at an amazing price and is a better PSU, but the one you have will do fine if the XFX is more expensive.


I'm thinking about changing the GTX 760 to an r9 270x because they both perform well and the r9 270x is cheaper so it will probably go down to about £650. Also, is a Non-Modular PSU as good as a Semi-Modular PSU because my other friend - not the one making the build - says that a Semi-Modular one is much better.


Just keep in mind if your bud ever wants to record some game play then his Nvidia GPU will allow for Shadowplay and therefore impose less stress on the CPU and GPU decreasing FPS drop compared to the FRAPS or BandiCam programs etc. :D 

Theoretical performance differences.



woltej1 said:
Performance wise there is not difference, but when trying to make a clean build going with modular is much easier. I only recommend it because there is a quality difference between the 2 and the higher quality one is $30 cheaper in the US right now.

I would try to stick with the 760, they are fairly similar, but the 760 is better hands down.


Ok, I will tell him about the build, Thanks! http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2XtUr

I made the drive 1tb because he will probably upgrade it very soon - like in 1-3 months.
m
0
l
February 21, 2014 12:04:46 PM

Pineapple20 said:
veladem said:
Pineapple20 said:
woltej1 said:
That's a pretty good build. 2 things though.

Change that HDD to a Western Digital caviar blue or a hitachi.

See if the XFX 550W PSU is cheaper, right now in the states it is at an amazing price and is a better PSU, but the one you have will do fine if the XFX is more expensive.


I'm thinking about changing the GTX 760 to an r9 270x because they both perform well and the r9 270x is cheaper so it will probably go down to about £650. Also, is a Non-Modular PSU as good as a Semi-Modular PSU because my other friend - not the one making the build - says that a Semi-Modular one is much better.


Just keep in mind if your bud ever wants to record some game play then his Nvidia GPU will allow for Shadowplay and therefore impose less stress on the CPU and GPU decreasing FPS drop compared to the FRAPS or BandiCam programs etc. :D 

Theoretical performance differences.



woltej1 said:
Performance wise there is not difference, but when trying to make a clean build going with modular is much easier. I only recommend it because there is a quality difference between the 2 and the higher quality one is $30 cheaper in the US right now.

I would try to stick with the 760, they are fairly similar, but the 760 is better hands down.


Ok, I will tell him about the build, Thanks! http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2XtUr

I made the drive 1tb because he will probably upgrade it very soon - like in 1-3 months.


Oops, I forgot the monitor xD Sorry about that, I could re factor that in if needed?
m
0
l
February 21, 2014 2:50:08 PM

veladem said:
Pineapple20 said:
veladem said:
Pineapple20 said:
woltej1 said:
That's a pretty good build. 2 things though.

Change that HDD to a Western Digital caviar blue or a hitachi.

See if the XFX 550W PSU is cheaper, right now in the states it is at an amazing price and is a better PSU, but the one you have will do fine if the XFX is more expensive.


I'm thinking about changing the GTX 760 to an r9 270x because they both perform well and the r9 270x is cheaper so it will probably go down to about £650. Also, is a Non-Modular PSU as good as a Semi-Modular PSU because my other friend - not the one making the build - says that a Semi-Modular one is much better.


Just keep in mind if your bud ever wants to record some game play then his Nvidia GPU will allow for Shadowplay and therefore impose less stress on the CPU and GPU decreasing FPS drop compared to the FRAPS or BandiCam programs etc. :D 

Theoretical performance differences.



woltej1 said:
Performance wise there is not difference, but when trying to make a clean build going with modular is much easier. I only recommend it because there is a quality difference between the 2 and the higher quality one is $30 cheaper in the US right now.

I would try to stick with the 760, they are fairly similar, but the 760 is better hands down.


Ok, I will tell him about the build, Thanks! http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2XtUr

I made the drive 1tb because he will probably upgrade it very soon - like in 1-3 months.


Oops, I forgot the monitor xD Sorry about that, I could re factor that in if needed?


No that's alright. He said he doesn't mind if it goes over budget by a bit.

Thanks for your replies.
m
0
l
February 21, 2014 10:29:57 PM

Pineapple20 said:
woltej1 said:
That's a pretty good build. 2 things though.

Change that HDD to a Western Digital caviar blue or a hitachi.

See if the XFX 550W PSU is cheaper, right now in the states it is at an amazing price and is a better PSU, but the one you have will do fine if the XFX is more expensive.


I'm thinking about changing the GTX 760 to an r9 270x because they both perform well and the r9 270x is cheaper so it will probably go down to about £650. Also, is a Non-Modular PSU as good as a Semi-Modular PSU because my other friend - not the one making the build - says that a Semi-Modular one is much better.


That's great, I'd go for the R9 270x if you are looking to save money! Also, a semi-modular PSU is indeed better.
m
0
l
!