I am kind of sick of waiting to upgrade since I've stated that I would do it when 290's came out...but they are hugely overpriced.
Newegg has the 780 Classified onsale for 496 until tomorrow after rebate and coupon code. I currently have a 560ti hawk and will play Dark Souls 2, BF4 (on and off currently), and other games; maybe Titanfall??? (I also stream on twitch)
Should I upgrade now or wait for maxwell which could be FAR out still and the prices could be very high (can spend over $600 on a GPU).
Current Rig (will be upgraded in the next 1-1.5 years):
24in 1920x1080 (will get 1440 in about a year)
i5-2500k @ 4.3Ghz
2x SSD 250GB
2x HDD 7200RPM
Classifieds also DO NOT qualify for EVGA Step Up program
Also my GF is giving me $140 she said she would for my bday -.- so it'll cost less
Are you planning on buying Maxwell (800 series cards)?
If you are, you could probably wait for the new cards to drop.
If not, and you're just looking for a great GPU, I'd say go for it. I paid what, $650/ea for my 780s. I wish I could've got them for sub $500.
It would all depend on the prices of the 800 series. I want something that will last 2 years minimum. I'm worried I'd wait for the 800 series and then be mad that I did due to them having extremely high prices
Live in the now and go for the 780. It will last until your next upgrade. Im still running a 580 and I am very happy with the performance even even though its 2 gens older. However after seeing that deal and reading your post I do have to say that you inspired me to pull the trigger and order it. I also have to order a water block but that is a good deal. Anyway I say go for it now because nobody knows what the future holds. There is no certainty that anyone will still be around by next gen to contribute $140 to the cause anyway.
the classified is by far the best 780 out there and over clocks like a beast because of the classified voltage tool and the 1.35v you can get out of its voltage controller. thats a real good price if you don't have to pay tax where you are. its likely we won't see a flagship maxwell card until at the least in december. its really up to you, i tried to hold out but since I'm at 1440p i felt the urge to upgrade because my 7950 was worth so much money used because of the crypto currency stuff.