Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. Help

Tags:
  • Windows 8
  • Configuration
  • Msconfig
Last response: in Windows 8
February 21, 2014 2:31:51 PM

I am running windows 8.1
I recently tried to enable max memory and max cores through msconfig and went to restart my computer and now I get stuck in a restart loop which says "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We will collect some info and restart for you." underneath it BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. I tried booting in safe mode and got the same error. System Restore also failed. I only have access to the command prompt which I tried to start msconfig through except it says that msconfig.exe cannot be found, and bios which I tried reseting the configuration to default to no avail. I currently dont have a installation disk or recovery media. I am not the most advanced pc user. What should I do?

More about : ran problem restart

a c 496 * Windows 8
February 21, 2014 8:22:09 PM

cmr669 said:
I am running windows 8.1
I recently tried to enable max memory and max cores through msconfig and went to restart my computer and now I get stuck in a restart loop which says "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We will collect some info and restart for you." underneath it BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. I tried booting in safe mode and got the same error. System Restore also failed. I only have access to the command prompt which I tried to start msconfig through except it says that msconfig.exe cannot be found, and bios which I tried reseting the configuration to default to no avail. I currently dont have a installation disk or recovery media. I am not the most advanced pc user. What should I do?

Not much you can do without access to a Repair/install disk. However, as you can get to CMD prompt, try System File Checker

Type sfc /scannow then Enter

It finds and fixes errors in Windows, but doesn't always report them. Run it and see if the fault disappears after re-booting your system
If corrupt files are found that can’t be fixed, try

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Somehow I suspect your problems won't allow them to run, but worth a try. Meanwhile see if you can get a friend to download and burn an Install disk, if your OS is Retail or OEM try here
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=271128
you'll need your Product Key...

m
1
l
February 21, 2014 9:29:13 PM

dodger46 said:
cmr669 said:
I am running windows 8.1
I recently tried to enable max memory and max cores through msconfig and went to restart my computer and now I get stuck in a restart loop which says "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We will collect some info and restart for you." underneath it BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. I tried booting in safe mode and got the same error. System Restore also failed. I only have access to the command prompt which I tried to start msconfig through except it says that msconfig.exe cannot be found, and bios which I tried reseting the configuration to default to no avail. I currently dont have a installation disk or recovery media. I am not the most advanced pc user. What should I do?

Not much you can do without access to a Repair/install disk. However, as you can get to CMD prompt, try System File Checker

Type sfc /scannow then Enter

It finds and fixes errors in Windows, but doesn't always report them. Run it and see if the fault disappears after re-booting your system
If corrupt files are found that can’t be fixed, try

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Somehow I suspect your problems won't allow them to run, but worth a try. Meanwhile see if you can get a friend to download and burn an Install disk, if your OS is Retail or OEM try here
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=271128
you'll need your Product Key...



From time I first posted this I was able to get my hands on a Windows 8 install disk and was able to boot from there. However I am still unable to refresh or repair my pc. When I try to refresh its says the hard disk is locked. When I try to reset its says a required drive partition is missing.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 9, 2015 5:08:24 AM

hello, i've created an account on this site just so i can THANK YOU for your response. I tried to update my bios (from my laptop's producer site to be sure about compatability), when my lenovo (win 8.1 pro) crashed. I was stuck with endless 'your pc run into problem' loop, couldn't enter BIOS. What i finally did was to access my os through the safe mode with command prompt (i don't have my installion disc with me so i was in a bad spot, and accessing recovery points didn't help), i did as you proposed scan the system with sfc / scannow. After some time when it finally did reach 100% it said that some errors couldn't be repaired, which led to even bigger frustration, but surprisingly when i restarded my laptop... EVERYTHING WORKED, my pc runs good as always, no further problems. Thank you, once again, i don't have to take my laptop to repair, you've literally saved me ! Greetings
m
0
l
November 11, 2015 10:45:22 PM

cmr669 said:
dodger46 said:
cmr669 said:
I am running windows 8.1
I recently tried to enable max memory and max cores through msconfig and went to restart my computer and now I get stuck in a restart loop which says "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We will collect some info and restart for you." underneath it BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. I tried booting in safe mode and got the same error. System Restore also failed. I only have access to the command prompt which I tried to start msconfig through except it says that msconfig.exe cannot be found, and bios which I tried reseting the configuration to default to no avail. I currently dont have a installation disk or recovery media. I am not the most advanced pc user. What should I do?

Not much you can do without access to a Repair/install disk. However, as you can get to CMD prompt, try System File Checker

Type sfc /scannow then Enter

It finds and fixes errors in Windows, but doesn't always report them. Run it and see if the fault disappears after re-booting your system
If corrupt files are found that can’t be fixed, try

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Somehow I suspect your problems won't allow them to run, but worth a try. Meanwhile see if you can get a friend to download and burn an Install disk, if your OS is Retail or OEM try here
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=271128
you'll need your Product Key...



From time I first posted this I was able to get my hands on a Windows 8 install disk and was able to boot from there. However I am still unable to refresh or repair my pc. When I try to refresh its says the hard disk is locked. When I try to reset its says a required drive partition is missing.



maybe you need to update your bios
m
0
l