i5 or FX 8320/8350?

Danzas4321

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Hey guys. i want to change my CPu in my PC as i get FPs drops in Bf4.

Current PC
AMD ATHLON X4 760K Oced@4.5Ghz
MSI R9 270X GAMING 2G
8GB RAM

So im wondering what would be the best path to go? AMD FX Or Intel Core i5? Im trying to keep the price as low as possible but still with a good OC potential. thanks

Danzas4321

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

That's not necessarily true, although it can be. Not all 8320s hit the OC numbers that the 8350 will. With an 8350 your basically guaranteed 4.6ghz+ if your using a good motherboard. I was running at 4.7ghz @ 1.44v for the last 6 months. I just bumped my multiplier and voltage up on a whim a few days ago and now I am at 4.8ghz @ 1.45v. Temps didn't change much either. A buddy of mine has the same numbers, although his cooler is better and could easily go higher if he wanted with a small volt bump again.

OP, how much OC potential do you want? If your looking for a mild OC, go with the i5. If your looking for something you can really push, get a 8350. But spend a little more ans get a decent 990x/990fx motherboard with good phase control (8+2) so you are assured a high OC.

Lessthannil

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
The FX 8320/50 may overclock higher quantively but the I5 is already faster than the FX 8350 in games at stock, even with the FX 8350 having a +.6GHz stock frequency advantage. The i5 also gains more speed than the FX clock for clock, too.

If you want to say you have a 5.0 GHz processor, get the FX 8350. If you want weight behind your numbers there is nothing wrong with the I5-4670k and the only thing that is "mild" about overclocking it is what you might top out at.

MFBLO96

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
If you are building it for games, an i5 is a better choice. It has much better per core preformance, which will benefit you in day to day tasks such a surfing, and running simple programs.
Games that use up to 6 core will run better on the intel.
Games that will use 7/8 cores will see a slight advantage on the 8350 (and will be equal on the 8320)

People have been using the (consoles are 8 cores, so games will be) logic, but the only reason console went with an 1.8ghz 8 core over a 3.5ghz 4 core was that I would use less power, and would not require each core to be as perfect, increasing production rates.

I would go intel because I see no reason to sacrifice some general pc functionality for 4 more fps on a very select few titles

jacobian

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

That's an unsubstantiated statement. No application ever requires or will require 8 cores. By the time a game developer knows how to take full advantage of 8 cores, he can write software that queries the OS for the number of cores available. If you have 4 cores it will start 4 threads, if you have 16 cores, it will start 16 threads. By the time you have games that do this, it will merely allow the FX 8350 at best to keep up with Haswell Core i5, which has fever but a lot faster cores.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

That's an unsubstantiated statement from diehard Intel fanboys....

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

Ehm no. That would be stupid unless they give CPUs a new feature to minimize the huge latency it can give.
Games will still have "main threads", where they can spawn "sub-threads".

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

Please stop yourself.

I do actually see this thread being helpful to the OP, whose question has not been answered. I suggest the 8320 if you are on a budget, and use the money saved from the 8350 to get a better cooler, considering an 8320 with a cooler is going to go way past an 8350 with stock.

jacobian

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

But the point is, there is no reason to spawn "too many" threads. By the time you know how to use 8 cores, you know how to control the number of threads that need to be running, so you don't start 10 worker threads on a quad-core machine. Some people mistakenly think that all PS4 games will come hardwired for 8 threads. People in high performance computing have solved this problem a long time ago, so their stuff can run on a 32 CPU or 64 CPU server without problems.

Another issue is having more active threads than CPU cores is actually not a problem. Some people think again by mistake that 8-threads will slaughter a 4-core CPU. In reality, the OS will switch the threads on the limited number of CPU cores. This is done relatively inexpensively in software. This is why "hardware thread switching" like in SMT does not buy you a whole lot.

Another issue is that a multithreaded application will not always spread the load uniformly between all the different threads. Prime example is multi-threaded games that spawn threads by the task, like say audio, network, game logic, graphics. In this case, the main thread will be sitting and waiting for the threads to synchronize because graphics and networking is already done but the single game logic thread is taking too long. In such cases single threaded performance will still be very important.