Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

can't run exe files on xp laptop

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Windows XP
  • HIS
Last response: in Windows XP
February 23, 2014 1:55:28 PM

My father has windows xp on his laptop. He said he was deleting files and since than he can't run anything on his lap top. I tried and I'm unable to run simple commands. I can't run any exe files. Nothing.

More about : run exe files laptop

February 23, 2014 2:49:27 PM

When did it start?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
February 23, 2014 2:50:26 PM

Did he delete something important from the Windows folder?
m
0
l
Related resources
February 23, 2014 3:56:10 PM

He said it started a couple months ago. It's possible that he deleted something important from the windows folder, but I don't know. I can't do a system restore. I can't do anything.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
February 23, 2014 4:12:34 PM

there is a repair option for xp.insert the disk and select repair when the option comes up.my experience with this hasnt been good but its worth a try.
m
0
l
February 23, 2014 7:37:42 PM

12746186,0,1302134 said:
there is a repair option for xp.insert the disk and select repair when the option comes up.my experience with this hasnt been good but its worth a try.[/quotemsg

Didn't work. I tried to go into the CFG and put in the EXE command but I think it just made things worse. The laptop has become a brick.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
February 23, 2014 8:56:09 PM

time for a clean install then.boot the machine to the boot menu,slide in the disk and reinstall.if you have files you want on the hdd i would remove it from the laptop,put it in an enclosure and run it from another machine as an external hdd.you can transfer your files from there. after this is done just reinstall windows.just looking at your post again.you do know the repair im talking about is done with the install disk after you set the cd as boot?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
February 24, 2014 12:20:43 AM

Don't reinstall - fix!

Doug Knox figured this one out over ten years ago and his Registry fix for the problem is still valid and valued.

If your Dad can get on the Net, send him to http://www.dougknox.com and click on the XP Fixes link on the left hand side then on File Association Fixes in the middle pane. Again in the centre pane, you'll find Doug's EXE file fix - double click that and download it then click on it and allow it to modify your Registry and it will put this problem right.

If he can't get online, download it yourself and put it on a flash drive to transfer to his machine.
m
0
l
February 24, 2014 1:28:11 PM

aldan said:
time for a clean install then.boot the machine to the boot menu,slide in the disk and reinstall.if you have files you want on the hdd i would remove it from the laptop,put it in an enclosure and run it from another machine as an external hdd.you can transfer your files from there. after this is done just reinstall windows.just looking at your post again.you do know the repair im talking about is done with the install disk after you set the cd as boot?


Saga Lout said:
Don't reinstall - fix!

Doug Knox figured this one out over ten years ago and his Registry fix for the problem is still valid and valued.

If your Dad can get on the Net, send him to http://www.dougknox.com and click on the XP Fixes link on the left hand side then on File Association Fixes in the middle pane. Again in the centre pane, you'll find Doug's EXE file fix - double click that and download it then click on it and allow it to modify your Registry and it will put this problem right.

If he can't get online, download it yourself and put it on a flash drive to transfer to his machine.


That website doesn't work.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
February 24, 2014 11:22:20 PM

Well I'm very sorry abut that - I didn't know Doug had closed his site. It's been a sound source of advice, tips and tricks for twelve years. I also tried Kelly-Korner and that's gone West as well and even Bob Cerelli's XP site hasn't been updated for six years.

I'll try to find time later in the day to write the fix myself and post back if no-one else does it first.
Share
February 25, 2014 10:46:54 AM

Saga Lout said:
Well I'm very sorry abut that - I didn't know Doug had closed his site. It's been a sound source of advice, tips and tricks for twelve years. I also tried Kelly-Korner and that's gone West as well and even Bob Cerelli's XP site hasn't been updated for six years.

I'll try to find time later in the day to write the fix myself and post back if no-one else does it first.


Thank you.
m
0
l