Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Guys, give me a hand here I need to decide on an upgraded gpu as my hd7770 is a bit well... Not up to my standard so any help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 23, 2014 2:10:36 PM

Guys, give me a hand here I need to decide on an upgraded gpu as my hd7770 is a bit well... Not up to my standard so any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
February 23, 2014 2:42:38 PM

Make and model of your PSU?
CPU installed?
Budget?
m
0
l
February 23, 2014 2:50:28 PM

clutchc said:
Make and model of your PSU?
CPU installed?
Budget?


clutchc said:
Make and model of your PSU?
CPU installed?
Budget?


Well, ATM I have -
Corsair 450w psu
Msi 970a-g43 mobo
6gb 1333mhz ram
Amd fx 4300 CPU

I'm soon to be upgrading psu, CPU and ram to higher spec ones, though ATM I'm just struggling with the choice of gpu so I'm looking to spend 200 maximum though I'd like to stay and if that's possible, had a fair few mess ups with nvidia before and lost faith in them, thanks for the reply btw :) 
m
0
l
February 23, 2014 2:53:39 PM

So are you saying you don't want to go with an Nvidia card?
m
0
l
February 23, 2014 2:57:02 PM

clutchc said:
So are you saying you don't want to go with an Nvidia card?


Depending on the price I may be swayed but if I don't don't see price/performance being any different from an amd card then I'd prefer to go amd
m
0
l
February 24, 2014 3:39:52 AM

clutchc said:
In that case, I would have to go with Tom's Hdwr's choice: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...


i'm assuming you're talking about the nvidia card there?
i was thinking about one of the R- series from AMD but i've been reading alot of mixed reviews about the R-9 270x
m
0
l
February 24, 2014 2:42:56 PM

That's a good choice too. The R9-270X is basically a re-branded HD 7870XT.
m
0
l
February 24, 2014 2:48:40 PM

clutchc said:
That's a good choice too. The R9-270X is basically a re-branded HD 7870XT.


i read up some review and tests ran on a few cards on a couple of games and it seems you get more performance out of the plain r270 when overclocked compared to the r-270x (pretty sure the 290x wasn't oc'd whatsoever) so proof could be in the pudding, i'm trying to allow someone to give me the reason to spend the extra amount but it'd be a stretch with the cash haha :D 
m
0
l
February 24, 2014 3:08:00 PM

nastycocopop said:
i'm trying to allow someone to give me the reason to spend the extra amount but it'd be a stretch with the cash haha :D 


That's why I linked you to the page that had the R7-260X. I was going by your previous budget of under $200. The GTX 660 would be better, but you said you didn't want another nvidia card.
m
0
l
February 24, 2014 3:31:28 PM

clutchc said:
nastycocopop said:
i'm trying to allow someone to give me the reason to spend the extra amount but it'd be a stretch with the cash haha :D 


That's why I linked you to the page that had the R7-260X. I was going by your previous budget of under $200. The GTX 660 would be better, but you said you didn't want another nvidia card.


Hm, it's a headscratcher for me as I don't know whether to actually regain my trust with nvidia, would an amd 6300 fx processor bottleneck it's performance in any shape or form or vice versa? That's another thing I'd be worried about
m
0
l
February 24, 2014 3:41:39 PM

The FX-6300 and a GTX 660/660 ti would be a perfect match. I have been using both AMD and Nvidia in the systems I have built over the years with never an issue with either one. A lot of problems folks have is they don't keep their systems clean of registry errors, junk files, and resource wasting crap. That's why I always recommend:

1) Uninstalling the previous driver before installing the new one. Also, run Driver sweeper from Safe Mode after removal of the old driver to remove any AMD, ATI, and Nvidia remnants left behind.
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.h...

2) Running CCleaner after the driver uninstall/reboot. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner Do the Clean and Registry portions both.

If I had to make a judgement call, I'd say Nvidia cards and drivers are even a bit more stable than AMD.
m
0
l
February 24, 2014 5:02:28 PM

clutchc said:
The FX-6300 and a GTX 660/660 ti would be a perfect match. I have been using both AMD and Nvidia in the systems I have built over the years with never an issue with either one. A lot of problems folks have is they don't keep their systems clean of registry errors, junk files, and resource wasting crap. That's why I always recommend:

1) Uninstalling the previous driver before installing the new one. Also, run Driver sweeper from Safe Mode after removal of the old driver to remove any AMD, ATI, and Nvidia remnants left behind.
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.h...

2) Running CCleaner after the driver uninstall/reboot. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner Do the Clean and Registry portions both.

If I had to make a judgement call, I'd say Nvidia cards and drivers are even a bit more stable than AMD.


Hmm, il be definately checking that out now, may even be able to spend a little more do to an increase in budget, how are they for overclock, are they as irritable as amd gpu?
m
0
l
February 25, 2014 10:32:41 AM

With the EVGA PrecisionX free to all, it is a breeze. And from what I've tried, O/C nicely. But O/C'ing isn't really my thing. So another section of the forum might be better for that answer in depth.
http://eu.evga.com/precision/ (free for a sign-up. Works with any Nvidia card)
m
0
l
February 26, 2014 7:22:23 AM

clutchc said:
With the EVGA PrecisionX free to all, it is a breeze. And from what I've tried, O/C nicely. But O/C'ing isn't really my thing. So another section of the forum might be better for that answer in depth.
http://eu.evga.com/precision/ (free for a sign-up. Works with any Nvidia card)


it seems to be everytime i come on here my budget gets a little higher (i just keep getting extra money), what would you say about the nvidia gtx 760 (zotac) version as thats an idea i have running in the mill?
m
0
l
February 26, 2014 8:14:22 AM

Right now, the GTX 760 seems to be the price/performance sweet spot for cards. I just bought one as a gift for a relative's gaming PC (i5-2310). With his smallish 1680x1050 resolution, there isn't a game he can't play with maxed out graphics.
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-270X-vs-GeForce-GTX-7...

(They're way off on their price, tho. The 760 is actually less most places than the 270X)
m
0
l
February 26, 2014 8:46:14 AM

clutchc said:
Right now, the GTX 760 seems to be the price/performance sweet spot for cards. I just bought one as a gift for a relative's gaming PC (i5-2310). With his smallish 1680x1050 resolution, there isn't a game he can't play with maxed out graphics.
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-270X-vs-GeForce-GTX-7...

(They're way off on their price, tho. The 760 is actually less most places than the 270X)


hmm, so which would you recommend for gaming at 1920x1080 i'd be playing games such as-
Battlefield 4
Black ops 2
battlefield 3
Minecraft (because its awesome)
crysis 3

i'd looked at alot of things and both can handle though its just amd's oc features i find them very lacking with past experience, hence why i'm replacing the HD7770
m
0
l

Best solution

February 26, 2014 2:09:21 PM

I'm afraid I don't enjoy war games. I'm not fan of playing tag or hide-n-seek with guns. I do have Crysis 3, however, but only played it single player. My 2 x GTX 660 OC cards and i5-2500K @ 4.2GHZ can't play it with maxed out graphics. I have to back off to 1X SMAA and various mixes of Very High, High, and Medium to maintain smooth frame rates. (I don't go by the FPS, just what looks smooth to me) At 1080p you'd probably need a 780ti to max it out. Maybe 2 ;-)
Share
February 26, 2014 2:56:23 PM

clutchc said:
I'm afraid I don't enjoy war games. I'm not fan of playing tag or hide-n-seek with guns. I do have Crysis 3, however, but only played it single player. My 2 x GTX 660 OC cards and i5-2500K @ 4.2GHZ can't play it with maxed out graphics. I have to back off to 1X SMAA and various mixes of Very High, High, and Medium to maintain smooth frame rates. (I don't go by the FPS, just what looks smooth to me) At 1080p you'd probably need a 780ti to max it out. Maybe 2 ;-)


well, i'd be set at around high settings rather than ultra ect, then again with the 7770 i can max out most games (getting about 35-40 fps) making it run smoothly, but then there are a couple such as crysis and assassins creed (whilst i had it) where i had to lower just a mix of high and very high/ not hitting ultra though so maybe i'd at least be a bit closer with the 760 gpu when oc'd haha..

also the battlefield series has been my preference over any fps game so far mainly for the fact there is alot of different things you can do (in all honesty i like flying the planes etc) :p 
m
0
l
!