GT 630 to GTX 760-No beeps, no signal, have breadboarded, no change - What have I done wrong?

MrVic87

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
■ Im new to building pcs. I upgraded my graphics card from a gt 630 to a gtx 760. Before the upgrade, my PC was working great. Build is a

AMD Fx6350
4gb (2 x 2gb) Ballistic Ram
Evga Gtx 760 (originally Gigabyte Gt 630)
600w evga psu (originally a 500w Corsair, modular)
Zalman 8900 CPU cooler
Cooler master haf 912.

Before I installed the gtx, I uninstalled the display driver. Installed gtx and when I powered on a message appeared saying please use pci connectors that came with the card. I must have connected it wrong cuz when I powered on again, there was a smell of a component possibly being fried. I powered down, waited then made sure I had the right connections. At that time it was with a Corsair 500w psu. I power up and nothing happened. No signal, no beeps, no bios. I swapped back to gt 630 and no beeps or signal. I went to get my mobo and psu replaced. I have a gigabyte ga970-ud3p mobo. I rebuilt my PC and again no beeps. I tried via hdmi, dvi adapter to VGA to hdtv, nothing. All system fans and graphics card seems to be working fine. Dvi adapter to vga with my monitor, nothing. I removed components one by one, powered on, no change. I tried everything I could think of but can't get a signal.

I rebuild an older PC and used the same monitor and it worked!! I have read a few similar threads on here which is why i joined but i still have this issue. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

Solution
If you upgraded from a gt 630 card to a 760 card.
Then you must ensure that the power supply you were running is up to the job of feeding enough power to the system.

That means the wattage, and the amount of amps the psu can output via it`s 12v power rail.

By adding the 760 card the wattage and amp consumption would of been far more.
That would cause strain and power distribution problems for the psu and likely cause it to blow under too much load.
So it may of been the source of the frying and smoking smell.

If you take the Psu out and smell it and it`s acrid or smells smokey or burned then it gone in some way.
If you upgraded from a gt 630 card to a 760 card.
Then you must ensure that the power supply you were running is up to the job of feeding enough power to the system.

That means the wattage, and the amount of amps the psu can output via it`s 12v power rail.

By adding the 760 card the wattage and amp consumption would of been far more.
That would cause strain and power distribution problems for the psu and likely cause it to blow under too much load.
So it may of been the source of the frying and smoking smell.

If you take the Psu out and smell it and it`s acrid or smells smokey or burned then it gone in some way.

Solution

MrVic87

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Shaun thanks for replying. The psu that I had when that occured was actually the Corsair 500w. It was returned. I can understand the reasoning behind the bigger card with more cores requiring more power, which is why I picked up the evga 600w. That psu can put out 588w on the 12 rail. Are you saying that's still not enough power for the gtx 760? Also, could that fried smell affect or ruin the chip (fx6350) in any way?

MrVic87

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
I started from scratch and took my system apart, all the way down to removing the cpu chip. I did notice some thermal grease on the sides of the pins. I cleaned that off with rubbing alcohol, let dry and started to rebuild. I made sure no extra standoffs was in the case. I put all the connections in. I have breadboarded my system and still no beeps no signal. Fans, ODD and HDD works.This is a new mobo, psu and graphics card. I don't know what other ideas I can do to get this fairly new system to work.