2X 770's vs 2X 780's(price jump worth it?)

Masonrk

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Hi,
I'm looking to put graphics into an upcoming PC build(December 2014) based on the 2011 chipset. So I wanna know if getting 2X 780's is worth the price jump compared to going with 2X 770's. I don't want people telling me that I need less than that, this will be my third build and know what I want. I am not to worried about being future proof because the mobo's that I'm looking into allow quad SLI so I figure I can save for a year(or 12 :)) and add two more!

Thanks, power users FTW!

Regards, Mason.

Solution
You will have to answer the price question yourself, you pay a premium for high end cards and performance/dollar ratio goes down and most people would be very happy with 2 x GTX770.

bad idea as very soon 2gb vram will not be enough to run on high-ultra settings at 1080p and is already not enough to run many games smoothly at resolutions higher than 1080p. quad sli has issues, if you think you know what you want you may want to think again. start off with the single most powerful card you can afford and go from there. coming from a person who has recent experience with sli and crossfire i would not use either again, unless for some reason i had the money and need to have more power than the most powerful single card available.

a real option is to get a computer case that will support a good thick 360mm radiator and get a good rated pump and parts. once you have that, it should last nearly forever if you take care of it, besides changing out cheap tubes every now and then. now once you have something like that, you just upgrade cards and get blocks to go with them. a 780ti kingpin under water at about 1.65ghz will match 2x770's at 1150mhz on air. the only difference is that you get to keep the water if you want to upgrade. but if sli is your thing then trying to water cool two gpu's the right way will require a 480mm rad and most people are not that extreme.

Masonrk

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

I like to think I am, but i'm probably not... I just know a lot about pc's!

thanks for the advice and its gonna be used when i'm buying!

Masonrk

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

Thank you for your input! Just to be clear,I don't think I know what I want. I just don't want somebody coming in to a conversations about 770's and 780's and saying "All's you need is a GTX640 and it'll do fine!" I said in my question I don't want somebody telling me that I don't need the power that these cards have. I actually like getting a better single card because I'm gonna water cool the new rig. Basicly I just don't like people assuming they know what I need, and I can see your not doing that.

Thanks, Man!

Regards, Mason.

if money is no object, just get a single 780ti. as far as price to performance to long term value i would recommend the evga acx cooler 780ti. but its your choice as far as brand. their all very very powerful and offer near max 1440p/1600p single monitor performance. i know i love my non ti evga classified 780 but im also at 1300mhz core and have a 1440p monitor. certain games i do have to lower AA obviously but usually inexpensive smaa is available or if not msaa doesn't matter or isn't visually with 45+fps. i personally think you should get a single 780ti. but a single evga 780 classified will easily be stable at 1.3ghz and be faster than a single reference 780ti for $550. but if you really have a budget for 2 780s then just get the 780ti kingpin, ekwb water block it, and add an xspc/alpha cool 240 rad + a d5 variant pump and you will hit 1.5ghz core and basically match any average 24/7 setup. not to mention you will always be able to keep the water setup as long as you flush eand change out tubes every now and then.