Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Desktop access denied, no restore points

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
February 24, 2014 10:27:40 PM

I deleted a file from the sys064 (i know, bad idea) in windows in my C drive, and now, when i startup, i am denied access to my desktop. All i see is an empty taskbar, and the recyclig bin. I'm in windows 8.1, and in sytem restore, all of my restore points are gone! All of my files are there, but i can't use any part of windows except in safe mode. I replaced the 2 diles i deleted out of system64, but that didn't do any good. How can i fix this without an entire system reset?
a c 383 * Windows 8
February 25, 2014 12:00:55 AM

Either use Safe Mode CMD prompt to try to repair Windows...

First try System File Checker
Winkey plus 'X'
Choose Command Prompt (Admin)
Type sfc /scannow then Enter

It finds and fixes errors in Windows, but doesn't always report them. Run it and see if the fault disappears after re-booting your system
If corrupt files are found that can’t be fixed, try

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Re-run SFC

To view CBS Log

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Search C drive for sfcdetails.txt or navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and scroll down.

Or, try to Repair Install (Leaves Progs and Data intact)

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-repair-insta...
m
0
l

Best solution

February 25, 2014 12:22:02 AM

jkteddy77 said:
I deleted a file from the sys064 (i know, bad idea) in windows in my C drive, and now, when i startup, i am denied access to my desktop. All i see is an empty taskbar, and the recyclig bin. I'm in windows 8.1, and in sytem restore, all of my restore points are gone! All of my files are there, but i can't use any part of windows except in safe mode. I replaced the 2 diles i deleted out of system64, but that didn't do any good. How can i fix this without an entire system reset?


I can't help you with your problem, do what that guy said. I have a question for you though. I see this a lot. What possessed you to delete system files which you obviously had no idea the function of in the first place? Like, what is the thought process that goes through someone's head where, you have no idea what a file does other than that it is a system file, no backup in place, and just delete it? What is thr thought process there?
Share
Related resources
February 25, 2014 6:45:06 AM

Deuce65 said:
jkteddy77 said:
I deleted a file from the sys064 (i know, bad idea) in windows in my C drive, and now, when i startup, i am denied access to my desktop. All i see is an empty taskbar, and the recyclig bin. I'm in windows 8.1, and in sytem restore, all of my restore points are gone! All of my files are there, but i can't use any part of windows except in safe mode. I replaced the 2 diles i deleted out of system64, but that didn't do any good. How can i fix this without an entire system reset?


I can't help you with your problem, do what that guy said. I have a question for you though. I see this a lot. What possessed you to delete system files which you obviously had no idea the function of in the first place? Like, what is the thought process that goes through someone's head where, you have no idea what a file does other than that it is a system file, no backup in place, and just delete it? What is thr thought process there?



I was uninstalling some programs, and was led to believe that traces of the program resided in the sysWOW64... I deleted 2 files I thought were dead. I should have thought it through, but I had only hopes of getting a fresher intall of the program.

I did this repair install, the windows update install method. I now have two OS's of windows 8.1 on the drive, and I've just decided to salvage my Windows.old files and do a clean install. This PC hasn't liked any games or programs since I built it, and its probably my best course of action. Thatnks for the help, but the repairs didn't work.
m
0
l
a c 382 * Windows 8
February 25, 2014 6:47:59 AM

A wise old geek once told me: "If you didn't create it, don't delete it"
m
0
l
February 25, 2014 9:49:15 AM

USAFRet said:
A wise old geek once told me: "If you didn't create it, don't delete it"



Very good advice. I've had so many issues with eradicating drivers, programs, that wouldn't work unless I WIPED them completely. Should have know better than to edit the system files though... I think a clean install is my best route because My PC had been getting sudden BSOD's and restarts when I tried to play BF4. That is the program I tried to fix, punkbuster specifically. The oddest part of this is that I had no system restore points? Were they saved in the system files I corrupted or... the Restore and recovery Folders are empty in my Windows.old\windows folders.
m
0
l
!