Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

CPU/GPU bottleneck i5-4670K and GTX 750 ti

Last response: in Components
Share
February 25, 2014 7:49:43 AM

Hello! First time using this forum so here I go. I have finally got the money to buy a GPU for my rig and I am trying to figure out if I would get any bottleneck with 750 ti. I would be buying the EVGA GTX 750 TI FTW with ACX cooling and probably try to overclock it to the max. I am not against paying more for a better card if it does bottleneck. These are my components:

CPU: i5-4670K cooled by Corsair H55
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence
Power Supply: Corsair CX600M (which I am replacing with a Corsair HX750)
February 25, 2014 7:52:41 AM

You are safe all the way up to 780. The CPU wont bottleneck the GPU. But having a CPU only bottleneck or a GPU only bottleneck depends on what you do. Cheers.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a b å Intel
February 25, 2014 7:54:08 AM

It is impossible for a GPU to bottleneck the CPU. People throw around bottleneck WAY too often without knowing what a bottleneck is. A bottleneck occurs when a component is physically restricting another component from reaching its full power. The GPU cannot bottleneck a CPU, and the i5 will definitely not bottleneck any single GPU out there right now.

Now, you will get better performance with a higher end GPU. You should take the money saved from not upgrading your PSU (as 600w is plenty powerful) and get a 760 instead, which will give you much better performance.
Share
Related resources
February 25, 2014 8:13:40 AM

Shneiky said:
You are safe all the way up to 780. The CPU wont bottleneck the GPU. But having a CPU only bottleneck or a GPU only bottleneck depends on what you do. Cheers.


Thanks for the quick response! I really appreciate the help!
m
0
l
February 25, 2014 8:18:07 AM

HiTechObsessed said:
It is impossible for a GPU to bottleneck the CPU. People throw around bottleneck WAY too often without knowing what a bottleneck is. A bottleneck occurs when a component is physically restricting another component from reaching its full power. The GPU cannot bottleneck a CPU, and the i5 will definitely not bottleneck any single GPU out there right now.

Now, you will get better performance with a higher end GPU. You should take the money saved from not upgrading your PSU (as 600w is plenty powerful) and get a 760 instead, which will give you much better performance.


Thank you so much for that. I didn't know that was the case with bottleneck and it helps to know for future! Slightly off topic since you mentioned it, but should I not upgrade my power supply yet and return it? I purchased it but haven't opened it yet since I didn't know what my plan was. My reason was for future proofing if I wanted to ever have SLI and for stability since the current power supply I have, is apparently not very stable and way less reliable than the one I recently bought.
m
0
l
February 25, 2014 8:21:21 AM

Nobody said anything about GPU bottlenecking a CPU. Where did you read it?
"i5 will definitely not bottleneck any single GPU", well this was already said.

Now let's go slowly.

Playing Star Craft on a map with 1 000 000 units (if possible) - game is slow(perceived as stuttering)/low fps - CPU is too slow.

Playing BF4 on single player - low fps(perceived as stuttering) - GPU is too slow.

In neither occasion is one component slowing down the other. In both occasions the component fails to fulfill it's own personal role. This is not a bottleneck that prevents one component to reach its full potential. It is a case in which the requirements towards a certain component exceed its limitations, regardless if the overall system is balanced. It is a Component only bottleneck from the viewpoint of the use case and system.

And if I may: "People throw around bottleneck WAY too often, thinking if they copy paste a line that sounds from Wikipedia, they completely understand it."
m
0
l
February 25, 2014 8:27:02 AM

Shneiky said:
Nobody said anything about GPU bottlenecking a CPU. Where did you read it?
"i5 will definitely not bottleneck any single GPU", well this was already said.

Now let's go slowly.

Playing Star Craft on a map with 1 000 000 units (if possible) - game is slow(perceived as stuttering)/low fps - CPU is too slow.

Playing BF4 on single player - low fps(perceived as stuttering) - GPU is too slow.

In neither occasion is one component slowing down the other. In both occasions the component fails to fulfill it's own personal role. This is not a bottleneck that prevents one component to reach its full potential. It is a case in which the requirements towards a certain component exceed its limitations, regardless if the overall system is balanced. It is a Component only bottleneck from the viewpoint of the use case and system.

And if I may: "People throw around bottleneck WAY too often, thinking if they copy paste a line that sounds from Wikipedia, they completely understand it."


Wow that helps clear things up (even though it is common sense that I should have seen). I feel more confident now with what purchase I am going to make. Keep going I want to learn more and maybe it will teach other people! :) 
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b å Intel
February 25, 2014 8:52:06 AM

Shneiky said:
Nobody said anything about GPU bottlenecking a CPU. Where did you read it?
"i5 will definitely not bottleneck any single GPU", well this was already said.

Now let's go slowly.

Playing Star Craft on a map with 1 000 000 units (if possible) - game is slow(perceived as stuttering)/low fps - CPU is too slow.

Playing BF4 on single player - low fps(perceived as stuttering) - GPU is too slow.

In neither occasion is one component slowing down the other. In both occasions the component fails to fulfill it's own personal role. This is not a bottleneck that prevents one component to reach its full potential. It is a case in which the requirements towards a certain component exceed its limitations, regardless if the overall system is balanced. It is a Component only bottleneck from the viewpoint of the use case and system.

And if I may: "People throw around bottleneck WAY too often, thinking if they copy paste a line that sounds from Wikipedia, they completely understand it."


I understand that, but in neither case is either effecting the other. His title is CPU/GPU bottleneck i5 and 750 Ti which is why I explained it from both sides. We're both correct, technically, in this case. Upgrading the GPU would give better FPS in games like BF4, and a better CPU in Star Craft, but this common sense. If this wasn't the case, we would have 1 CPU and 1 GPU available forever. At the same time, the 750 Ti is not bottlenecking the rest of the system, nor is the i5. I didn't copy this off of Wikipedia by the way lol

Techfan, to answer your question about the PSU, if you're going with the 750 Ti, 600w is plenty of power even for 2-way SLI. If you already have the 750w PSU, it's definitely not going to hurt you in anyway to have it, I just wanted to let you know 600w is plenty of power for 1 or 2 750 Tis, or a single 760.
m
0
l
!