~$1,200 Build for a professional photographer

pbysh

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Hello all,

My wife is a professional photographer. Her current system is simply not good enough for what she does (it was a build I made for myself 6 years ago). I want to build her a new system from scratch that will handle all the photo editing she does without much hassle. Gaming is not really a consideration for this, which is why I skimped a little on the graphics card for my current wish list.

Here are my answers to the questions on the "How To Ask For a New Build" sticky:

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as I decide, within a week.
Budget Range: ~$1200 is my sweet spot, but I will go up to ~$1500 if necessary.
System Usage: Professional Photo Editing, virtually zero gaming.
Are You Buying A Monitor: No
Do You Need An OS? No
Preferred Website: I've always shopped at Newegg, not too worried with overpaying here or there for the convenience.
Parts Preference: Have historically bought Intel CPUs but those AMDs gave me pause. Stuck with Intel on my list, but open to what is best. Also been partial to Nvidia for GPUs.
Overclocking: I am not a big tinkerer when it comes to this and have always been nervous to do it so I would rather what performs best out of the box.
SLI or Crossfire: No

Any suggestions on whether this is roughly what I should be thinking would be appreciated:
Newegg Wish List.

A few comments on the reasoning for my list:
- I only have a SSD on there because she has 4 other good drives in the current PC I will be bringing over. The thinking on the 250 size is that it will have enough room for her to upload a session on to it, work on it, then move to the other drives to be archived.
- As I said above, it is my understanding that I don't need an awesome graphics card for graphic work, and we don't really care about gaming, so my consideration for a GPU was minimal. I wonder if I could get away with the chip's video card?
- She works mostly in Photoshop and Lightroom, she is really bad about closing stuff when she's not using it and will have 15-20 huge images on at a time and run actions on them and such. It is my priority that this goes as smoothly as possible for her.

Solution
I would go 32GB ram for working with big RAW images. They suck up RAM faster.

You are right, you don't need a monster video card, but Photoshop supports OpenCL on AMD and NVidia cards and this can offload really intensive CPU loads to the GPU that can do it in like 1/100th the time. Works great on some filters, others not so much. It may be used more and more in the future of photoshop though.
I would go 32GB ram for working with big RAW images. They suck up RAM faster.

You are right, you don't need a monster video card, but Photoshop supports OpenCL on AMD and NVidia cards and this can offload really intensive CPU loads to the GPU that can do it in like 1/100th the time. Works great on some filters, others not so much. It may be used more and more in the future of photoshop though.

Solution
For well under budget, you can get the i7, which will be greatly beneficial for this kind of work. I included a small GPU for some acceleration without spending too much. If you click the link in the upper-right for breakdown by merchant it will take you to Amazon/Newegg's pricing with links to each part.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($333.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($155.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 1GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $961.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-25 14:39 EST-0500)

pbysh

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

Excuse my ignorance, but what do I look for in a GPU to see if it supports OpenCL? Or is it just a matter of the application on the other end using it? Is there a particular GPU that plays the best with Photoshop CS6?

These days it's more of if the application uses it, as pretty much all medium-high end GPUs will all have support for it.

The 750 Ti I have in my build above is a great card to add to a build like this, as it's very low power, cool and quiet. Also, in any programs using CUDA, the 750 Ti will be even that much better.