Solved

How is my i7-3770k overclock?

Hello Everyone,

I have an i7-3770k. I just upgraded my cooler to a Phanteks PH-TC12DX and I am using Liquid Metal Pro. The voltage on this system is a bit weird, its default voltage is 1.250v, but it never goes over 1.2v. Using CPU offset I gave it +.050v but the monitors never show the voltage running higher than 1.272v. I used CPU-Z and Toverclocker (motherboards program) and they both read the same.

So my CPU specs are as follows
Vcore=1.250v
Offset=+0.50v
Max read voltage=1.272v
FSB=103.5
Turbo=x45
Core Speed=4.65 Ghz
Temps=83C at max

Stable after IntelBurnTest with 1GB stress level, unstable at 4GB stress level.

Is it safe to push higher with voltage?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 3770k overclock
  1. depends what you mean safe.

    There's a small chance the CPU protection features won't be sufficient and you'll destroy it
    There's a medium chance it'll not work or just get very hot
    Any increases in heat/voltage shortens life by an undetermined about
    There's a small chance voltage monitoring is not working correctly and it'll be destroyed
  2. Best answer
    My rule of thumb is don't go over 1.3 with the Ivys, not sure what the official stance is. I've seen people use 1.4 though, but I wouldn't use that kind of voltage for 24/7. So you have a little bit of room there in my opinion, but maybe someone else here has something to add. MY 3770K had no problems hitting decent OCs with a lower voltage, my issue was heat :-/ I think my chip would sail if I had the balls to delid it lol, or had a custom loop, just don't have the time or money to mess with it lol. So I settled at 4.4 but undervolted to help with the heat.
  3. It looks like the average 3770k overclock on air is 4.735ghz and the average on water is 4.9ghz

    http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i7_3770k/
  4. bdiddytampa said:
    My rule of thumb is don't go over 1.3 with the Ivys, not sure what the official stance is. I've seen people use 1.4 though, but I wouldn't use that kind of voltage for 24/7. So you have a little bit of room there in my opinion, but maybe someone else here has something to add. MY 3770K had no problems hitting decent OCs with a lower voltage, my issue was heat :-/ I think my chip would sail if I had the balls to delid it lol, or had a custom loop, just don't have the time or money to mess with it lol. So I settled at 4.4 but undervolted to help with the heat.


    Yea Ivys seem to be really temperamental with voltage increase. I've heard people at like 1.2v running 4.7GHz and others only getting 4.2Ghz same voltage.

    Lol heat was my issue too. I went as far as to buy a vice but it was a really crappy one and the teeth were not straight so it wouldn't hold tight enough to get the lid off. I haven't cared enough to get a new vice (its a bit nerve wracking playing with your CPU and a hammer) and my motherboard doesn't let me undervolt, but this new cooler and thermal paste dropped me 20C at default voltage so good enough I guess.

    My motherboard is strange as can be and I can't tell if its a blessing or a curse. I just pushed the offset to +0.060 which has stabliized the chip completely, but the voltage monitor is still reading 1.272v. So increasing voltage fixed stability without increasing voltage? Idk lol
  5. CTurbo said:
    It looks like the average 3770k overclock on air is 4.735ghz and the average on water is 4.9ghz

    http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i7_3770k/


    Yea I have seen that before. hwbot is helpful for that but I wish they keep temps and voltage records too, that would help a lot.
  6. Overclocking not only depends on your cpu, but your motherboard, the heatsink, and case cooling all play a big part as well.
  7. CTurbo said:
    Overclocking not only depends on your cpu, but your motherboard, the heatsink, and case cooling all play a big part as well.


    Yes I know every part is included but I have prepared pretty well with cooling. I have a large case, two 120mm top mounted case fans, a back mounted 100mm (I think) case fan, as well as another one on the HDDs and I had a 200mm on the side of the case but had to remove it to make room for the CPU cooler. I will be getting a 120mm for the bottom half of the side casing instead to take its place since I can't have the cooler and the 200mm case fan.

    The cooler performs really excellent, even beats some closed loop water coolers. Motherboard is just a Biostar TZ77A which is a bit cheap but it gets the job done. Besides not having the ability to use a negative offset, I like it better than the old ASrock board I had. It seems to be pretty solid overall and so far is overclocking well. Just wasn't sure if I should stop at 1.3v or push on. Or well, I don't plan to ever stop, more like pause until the hardware is so out of date that I can fry it without worry. :D
  8. Unless you just like tinkering with overclocking, I would dial it back and leave it at 4.5ghz. You'll never notice the difference in performance between 4.5 and 4.7 unless your running benchmarks.
  9. CTurbo said:
    Unless you just like tinkering with overclocking, I would dial it back and leave it at 4.5ghz. You'll never notice the difference in performance between 4.5 and 4.7 unless your running benchmarks.


    I am more doing it for the fun of tinkering. In all honesty I will probably end up dialing it back. I had it stable at about 1.2v (reported voltage by monitor) with a multiplier of 44 and 103.5 FSB. (So around 4.5Ghz)

    I really don't push this thing that hard most the time,and I don't think its worth the added voltage usage, but its fun to see how far it can go before dropping down.
  10. Well then, keep pushing it! Leave the fsb on 100 though and you'll get higher.
  11. lol well I think I will try a little more, but unfortunately I think that the 1.3v is the best safe stopping point. I will try dropping the FSB and see how much that will help. Biostar slips in the .5 extra and can't be removed but honestly for general use since it didn't take any power increase I like having an added bit from my RAM and CPU so owell :D

    Thanks for the advice guys
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Cooling CPUs Intel i7