Fx 8320 vs i53570k

In pure performance, i5 wins without a doubt. In bang for buck, I would go for the 8320, as it is $70-80 cheaper, and can be overclocked to perform pretty close to the i5. But for a hassle free no-maintenance experience, the i5 will give you way better performance.

Yes. I own the 8320, and even at 4.7GHz, it hardly hits the performance levels of the i5 in most games. But if I were you, I would grab the 4670K, not the 3570K. It has a nice little performance boost, and it costs about the same as the 3570K. Plus, you have the benefits of the 1150 socket.

No, it won't. In fact, the performance will hardly be noticeable unless you have a VERY high end graphics card. If you can get the 3570K for a lot cheaper, then by all means, get it.

InvalidError

Titan

Unless you overclock the FX8320 by a substantial margin, the stock i5-3570 (k or not) will beat it in most games, applications and benchmarks, heavily threaded or not.

In most cases though, both CPUs are quite capable of running games beyond vsync rate when paired with a sufficiently powerful GPU and this levels off the playing field between the two since few people can tell the difference between CPUs once the games run at 60+ FPS.

Personally, I prefer the i5 simply because it runs cooler, quieter using less power - my PC is in my bedroom so I do not mind paying a little extra for cool and quiet.

The 8320 may perform marginally better in one or two titles, but if you see any videos showing the 8320 beating the i5 in multiple categories consistently, then there is likely some bias in the testing.

They are utilizing more cores, but more powerful single core performance is still paramount. And since the i5 is a quadcore, it will still beat out the 8 core and 6 core AMD CPUs, even in heavily threaded games. This is because 4 powerful individual cores will be more efficient than 8 less-powerful "split" cores in gaming.

TeamUSA

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

With new technology comes lots of bugs and additional fixes. The tried and trusted I5-3570k is a solid CPU. I speak from personal experience. Playing battlefield 4 maxed out on all settings and set to 200% and not a single hiccup. I can't imagine that it will be outdated or insufficient any time soon. I have it paired with a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H and had experienced no issues what so ever.

TeamUSA

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

My first build was this.
Gigabyte GAZ77X-UD3H
I5-3570k
8gb ram
500gb WD hard drive
gigabyte gtx770OC
any disc drive will do
No need for more than 8gb ram

Oh and a solid PSU..I chose the Corsair 750m. You don't need any more power than that even if you add another graphics card

If you want to speed things up..I recommend an SSD drive. Load times across the board are extremely faster

InvalidError

Titan

Six months is still a long way from now with TSMC and GloFo about to start producing 20-22nm chips which means a whole new APU/GPU lineup from AMD and GPUs from Nvidia, Haswell-Refresh getting launched and Broadwell-K possibly being only a few more months away.

The build recommendations you get today could be drastically different from what you will get by the time you are actually ready to buy. Six months from now, people will probably recommend Haswell-Refresh over the i5-3570(k) - personally, I would recommend the i5-4670 even today due to HNI/AES2 instruction support giving a major boost to compute-intensive code optimized for it.

InvalidError

Titan

New products get launched nearly every month so if you keep waiting for the new products before making up your mind, you will end up waiting indefinitely. You have to decide how much waiting your are willing to do for yourself.

If your current PC is driving you nuts, do yourself a favor and upgrade now. If you are still mostly happy with your current PC, wait since you do not really need it.

On my Core2Duo with 8GB RAM, all the swapping with all my programs open was driving me nuts so I upgraded to an i5-3470 and 16GB RAM, found out I needed more than 16GB RAM with all my junk loaded to eliminate swapping (the main reason I upgraded in the first place) so I ended up upgrading to 32GB RAM two months later, just before RAM prices started climbing like crazy.