Solved

whats the highest MHz RAM that the intel i7-4960x can handle?

as stated above, I need to know what MHz ram the i7-4960x can handle? I was hoping it could handle the Kingston hyperx beast 2400MHz ram.
also, I plan on building my own desktop, and this will be my first. here is my list so far, im hoping for some feedback:

1. intel i7-4960x (LGA2011 socket chip, X79 chipset) -

2. Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams -

3. Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EATX DDR3 2133 Intel LGA 2011 Motherboard -

4. Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i -

5. Kingston HyperX Beast 16 GB Kit (2x8 GB) 2400MHz DDR3 PC3-19200 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM XMP Desktop Memory KHX24C11T3K2/16X -

6. EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit Dual-Link DVI-I DVI-D HDMI DP SLI Graphics Card 03G-P4-2888-KR -

7. Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE500BW -

8. Thunderbolt 1200W Power Supply ATX 1200 Energy Star Certified Power Supply TTBK20G -

9. win7 ultimate -

10. BitFenix ATX Full Tower Case Without Power Supply, BFC-CLS-500-KK​WR1-RP, Black with Red LED

I would like to ask a question concerning my above question.. if the 4960x cannot handle the higher speed ram, would going to the 4930k be a faster/better option utilizing the high speed ram?

also I would like to ask if what I have on my list is compatible with each other, and if I need anything else to complete this setup?

I will be using this desktop for invoicing and stereoscopic 3D gaming/movies..
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about whats highest mhz ram intel 4960x handle
  1. It all depends on the mobo and the processor. The i7 you have should be good, but the motherboard can only do 2133 Mhz RAM. You can use the same RAM but the "full potential" will not be unlocked.
  2. XxD34THxX said:
    It all depends on the mobo and the processor. The i7 you have should be good, but the motherboard can only do 2133 Mhz RAM. You can use the same RAM but the "full potential" will not be unlocked.


    what would be the best motherboard for the highest speeds of ram with this cpu? and do I need anything else with the system I want for 3D gaming/movies?
  3. XxD34THxX said:


    well I don't have one yet, im planning on building it and needed to know the fastest/best options for the i7-4960x. here is the mobo I plan on buying if its the best option..??

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIZ3APS/ref=gno_cart_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1TSN35NIS24VZ

    im wanting the best of the best for my components in my build. im not worried about costs here.. please help me build the best!
  4. The one I linked is MATX but should still work with your case. The only problem is whether you want to work with a stunted board :P. I'm having trouble finding Mobos that use 2400 speed RAM, I can only find 2133 RAM. I really don;t think there will be a difference but thats a personal opinion.
  5. XxD34THxX said:
    The one I linked is MATX but should still work with your case. The only problem is whether you want to work with a stunted board :P. I'm having trouble finding Mobos that use 2400 speed RAM, I can only find 2133 RAM. I really don;t think there will be a difference but thats a personal opinion.


    did you go to asus website and read about everything the black edition offers? do the comparison option on their website. it looked like it had everything the rampage IV gene had, plus more. am I correct? cuz I think I will go for this motherboard.
  6. XxD34THxX said:
    The one I linked is MATX but should still work with your case. The only problem is whether you want to work with a stunted board :P. I'm having trouble finding Mobos that use 2400 speed RAM, I can only find 2133 RAM. I really don;t think there will be a difference but thats a personal opinion.


    also it supported up to 2800 MHz on the ram speed. sorry I don't mean to double post.
    do you think the 780ti can handle 4k resolution in highest graphic settings? single monitor, LG 55" 3D hdtv
  7. Best answer
    The asus site states up to 2800 for that mobo. I'd suggest the 4930k since it'll oc to around the same speed as the 4960x while saving you $400.

    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_BLACK_EDITION/#specifications
  8. k1114 said:
    The asus site states up to 2800 for that mobo. I'd suggest the 4930k since it'll oc to around the same speed as the 4960x while saving you $400.

    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_BLACK_EDITION/#specifications


    Yeah, thats the board you have. I forgot the actual manufacturers website. *facepalm*

    as for the 780 ti at 4k.. Well, on a 55 inch tv, I really don't know.. Crossfired, I would say yes. With a single one... The fps is the main thing here. I don't think your tv can support 4k as you said 3d. Two completely different things. 3D, yes 4K, debatable.
  9. XxD34THxX said:
    k1114 said:
    The asus site states up to 2800 for that mobo. I'd suggest the 4930k since it'll oc to around the same speed as the 4960x while saving you $400.

    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_BLACK_EDITION/#specifications


    Yeah, thats the board you have. I forgot the actual manufacturers website. *facepalm*

    as for the 780 ti at 4k.. Well, on a 55 inch tv, I really don't know.. Crossfired, I would say yes. With a single one... The fps is the main thing here. I don't think your tv can support 4k as you said 3d. Two completely different things. 3D, yes 4K, debatable.

    sorry man, *facepalm to myself*, that was dumb on my part. ok here is the questions, lol:
    1. could the 780ti handle A 4k hdtv? how about a 3D 4k hdtv?
    2. it should be able to handle my CURRENT LG 55"3D hdtv on highest settings right? its not 4k
    sorry about the confusion.. lol
  10. http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/palit-gtx-780-ti-jetstream-oc-review-1600p-ultra-hd-4k/27/
    Answer the 4k question.
    No such thing as a 3D 4K TV, not to the best of my knoledge.
    Yes, your gpu should be able to handle the TV.
  11. XxD34THxX said:
    http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/palit-gtx-780-ti-jetstream-oc-review-1600p-ultra-hd-4k/27/
    Answer the 4k question.
    No such thing as a 3D 4K TV, not to the best of my knoledge.
    Yes, your gpu should be able to handle the TV.


    check it out..

    http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-58L9300U-58-Inch-Ultra-240Hz/dp/B00C6NB7R4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393470504&sr=1-1&keywords=3D+4k+hdtv

    so I would probably need 2 graphics cards to play on highest settings on a 3D 4k hdtv right? lol
  12. yeah you would. Better make that 3 GPUs...
  13. XxD34THxX said:
    yeah you would. Better make that 3 GPUs...


    holy s**t.. ok, thank you very much man!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel Intel i7 RAM Memory Components Nvidia