Sign in with
Your question
Solved

100% disk usage spike windows 8

Last response: in Storage
February 26, 2014 5:44:46 PM

Not sure what is causing it, but randomly the disk usage for my laptop spikes up to 100% and everything freezes for a few seconds.
This was much worse before and I did a system refresh in order to help solve the problem, which did make it a bit better, and also probably means that it isn't a virus doing this. I also just defragged my hard drive but it is still happening. Other than that I'm not sure what could be causing it.
Any help is appreciated!
February 26, 2014 11:58:41 PM

I had this happen and it was caused by Windows Update. It started happening one day and eventually it went away on it's own.

You should be able to open the Task Manager and sort by Disk usage on the Processes tab. From there you could list what things it says is using a high percentage.
m
l
February 27, 2014 1:59:28 PM

michaeldean said:
I had this happen and it was caused by Windows Update. It started happening one day and eventually it went away on it's own.

You should be able to open the Task Manager and sort by Disk usage on the Processes tab. From there you could list what things it says is using a high percentage.

When it happens, it shows the highest thing using .1mb/s
m
l

Best solution

February 27, 2014 3:16:25 PM

You can right click where the Disk percentage is and in the drop down menu change the Resource Values for the Disk usage to percentages. My Logitech Webcam Controller will show .1mb/s usage but when you switch to percentages it can be as high as 10%, while other processes that are also at .1mb/s will show something like .1% usage.
!