difference between Hybrid EFI and UEFI bios

hello

I just learn that my motherboard had Hybrid EFI.

I just want to know, which is newer bios .... Hybrid EFI or UEFI?

or are they same?

thank
20 answers Last reply
More about difference hybrid efi uefi bios
  1. Hybrid EFI, is a Gigabyte BIOS that came out in 2011. In 2007, EFI BIOS for Intel based comps was upgraded to Unified EFI (UEFI.)

    When Gigabyte first came out with their Hybrid EFI BIOS, it was buggy but BIOS updates fixed the problems. One very good thing about Gigabyte boards is that BIOS updates are easy and safe.
  2. spooky2th said:
    Hybrid EFI, is a Gigabyte BIOS that came out in 2011. In 2007, EFI BIOS for Intel based comps was upgraded to Unified EFI (UEFI.)

    When Gigabyte first came out with their Hybrid EFI BIOS, it was buggy but BIOS updates fixed the problems. One very good thing about Gigabyte boards is that BIOS updates are easy and safe.


    since my motherboard had the latest bios driver install and it Hybrid EFI BIOS -- a motherboard with UEFI bios is better or are they the same?

    from my understanding, UEFI is an Intel base motherboard bios not AMD, right? or can AMD motherboard had UEFI bios?

    the reason I ask this I am using AMD FX 6100 CPU and GA-78LMT-USB3 mobo. it rev. 4.1. I was thinking of upgrade to GTX 760 from EVGA which is a full UEFI bios card... do you think it will work on my mobo without having me to switch the mobo?

    I ask other forum user and they don't give me a straight-to the point answer.

    I did contact Gigabytes about this situation.... but they give me mix response but NVidia -- the chipset maker said it will work without a problem or require no bios update since F4 is the latest bios for the model of motherboard I am using.

    I forgot to ask, which one is newer than the other between Hybrid EFI and UEFI?
  3. The hybrid is a newer Gigabyte BIOS. And a GTX 760 will work nicely for you. AMD boards have EFI and/or UEFI BIOS' too. Or the newer hybrid.
  4. spooky2th said:
    The hybrid is a newer Gigabyte BIOS. And a GTX 760 will work nicely for you. AMD boards have EFI and/or UEFI BIOS' too. Or the newer hybrid.


    so what you are saying GTX 760 will work fine without any problem with the model of mobo I had without having me to replace the board -- of course beside from the decrease-performance in games due to the slot is PCI-E 2.0?

    thank for the concise response.
  5. All you really need is a 16x PCIe slot. The new PCIe 3.0 cards are fully backwards compatible. AMD has been putting out PCIe 3.0 cards for a long while now but has fairly recently been putting out the MBs with the 3.0 PCIe slots.
  6. spooky2th said:
    All you really need is a 16x PCIe slot. The new PCIe 3.0 cards are fully backwards compatible. AMD has been putting out PCIe 3.0 cards for a long while now but has fairly recently been putting out the MBs with the 3.0 PCIe slots.


    so when the evga told me that I will need to update my motherboard bios if the pci-e slot is pci-e 1.0. since my motherboard had pci-e 2.0, which is one generation behind, it will work but I will see a decrease in performance during gameplay and etc., right?

    but in general, which bios is newer -- Hybrid EFI or UEFI Bios and which one is better?
  7. Revised: I'd definitely say Hybrid is kind of newer (2011 vs 2007 for UEFI developed for Intel systems), but keep in mind that is a Gigabyte version of UEFI Bios, not a general one. And yes to the GPU question, though I'm not really sure how much a performance hit you'll take.
  8. gamesturbator said:
    I'd definitely say Hybrid (2011 vs 2007 for UEFI, but keep in mind that is a Gigabyte version of Bios not a general one. And yes to the GPU question, though I'm not really sure how much a performance hit you'll take.


    In general, Hybrid is better than UEFI, right?

    as long the card work on my system with the current motherboard.... performance hit does not matter since my monitor is 20 Inch LCD with 720 HD res.
  9. Not better just custom to Gigabyte boards. The idea, I think, was to upgrade the old Award Bios on their "older boards" to something with a UEFI type interface (which used to be for Intel boards only). Newer AMD boards all have UEFI. UEFI is newer interface plus it supports Windows 8 out of the box. You'll do fine with Hybrid if you have the latest Bios installed on your Gigabyte board (pretty sure).

    Off to bed now. I sleep during the day, that is if the Air Force base I live by lets me. ROOOOAAAAAR! Every morning! :D
  10. gamesturbator said:
    Not better just custom to Gigabyte boards. The idea, I think, was to upgrade the old Award Bios on their "older boards" to something with a UEFI type interface (which used to be for Intel boards only). Newer AMD boards all have UEFI. UEFI is newer interface plus it supports Windows 8 out of the box. You'll do fine with Hybrid if you have the latest Bios installed on your Gigabyte board (pretty sure).

    Off to bed now. I sleep during the day, that is if the Air Force base I live by lets me. ROOOOAAAAAR! Every morning! :D


    so now you are saying that UEFI is newer than Hybrid EFI than

    still, since my motherboard had the Hybrid EFI bios, will EVGA GTX 760 work on the motherboard?
  11. You really need to reread my previous post. So do I. LOL UEFI has existed since 2007 but wasn't used with amd boards until recently (2011). Gigabyte lagged behind all the other AMD motherboard makers until they finally came up with HybridEFI, a "bios tweak that lets you boot from volumes bigger than 2 TB." It later built upon that and developed a newer version of their HybridEFI bios that was meant to finally catch up to the functions of actual UEFI and essentially is UEFI now!

    So to clarify even further, Gigabyte just added a tweak to their Phoenix AwardBIOS to allow for larger hard drives to function correctly and simply called it HybridEFI. Then in 2012 they finally revised it to a fully UEFI bios. Now it has the same functions as that of other manufacturers, so functionally they are now the same. Gigabyte just still calls it HybridEFI because it's makes them feel special. :p It's the same thing now! It just has their own brand name that they chose.

    As for the new video card it should do just fine on your system now. You've got nothing to worry about.

    Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/174308/gigabyte-socket-am3-motherboards-get-uefi-bios-finally.html
  12. The newer gigabyte boards both AMD and Intel based, now have an AMI EFI BIOS. It is a pretty slick interface. More options too.

    Here's a link about it:
    https://www.ami.com/Products/BIOSandEFIFirmware/
  13. yeah, but he seems awfully focused on the one he's got and it's pretty "old." :) I hope he can relax now.

    BTW PCQuotes2, check out this sticky: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275856-30-gigabyte-guide very helpful regarding Gigabyte Motherboards and their configurations.
  14. Yup, I have referred to that sticky several times in the past. It is almost 4 years old now, though. Still, there's a lot of relevant info there.
  15. spooky2th said:
    Yup, I have referred to that sticky several times in the past. It is almost 4 years old now, though. Still, there's a lot of relevant info there.


    a difference question.

    I got the evga gtx 760 2 gb card and it work fine.

    since the 700 serious manage to take advantage of "temp target" in the evga precision software.

    do you recommend that I should use the "temp target" feature?

    the default maximum temp. that gpu can reach is 80.... should I leave it at the defult setting or use my own setting?

    the reason for me to buy the card is two reason, the price is in my price range and 2 GB video card.

    again, will the card be stable if I use the "temp target" feature to target the GPU max temp at 66 degree?
  16. Everything will or should be OK unless the temp gets up around the 66 degrees. Are you talking about "C" or "F" for the temp?
  17. spooky2th said:
    Everything will or should be OK unless the temp gets up around the 66 degrees. Are you talking about "C" or "F" for the temp?


    Celsius.

    let said I want the temp to go up to 65 degree c on full gaming load, will I be able to do with the evga precision x software?
    is it recommended when it summer?

    thank
  18. I would check it out at the default temp as well as your 65C temp. See how it goes. The 760 should be able to handle higher than 80C. The default is just a play-it-safe number. If you set it too low, the card might throttle down when playing a game and you would see lower frame rates and other possible drags like your mouse reaction, etc slowing down.

    Try your lower temp and if there are problems showing up, increase the temp. 80C is 176F and I would think that you would not be getting that high unless there is a problem.
  19. spooky2th said:
    I would check it out at the default temp as well as your 65C temp. See how it goes. The 760 should be able to handle higher than 80C. The default is just a play-it-safe number. If you set it too low, the card might throttle down when playing a game and you would see lower frame rates and other possible drags like your mouse reaction, etc slowing down.

    Try your lower temp and if there are problems showing up, increase the temp. 80C is 176F and I would think that you would not be getting that high unless there is a problem.


    ok that answer my question.

    I just leave it on default setting than for safe bit.

    in case you use gtx 700 series GPU, do you had problem with the driver crashes? my gtx 760 driver crash even on idle.
    the same happen to my gtx 560 Ti.

    I use the latest driver but I guess it had some kind of bus in the driver.

    do you know what is the stable version of driver for gtx 760?

    and how can I property remove the new driver "crash driver" and reinstall the stable driver?

    thank.
  20. Sorry, haven't been on-line in a while. You should be able to get the latest drivers at nvidia's web site. Just install it and it will update the current nvidia driver. My experience is that the newest drivers are more stable.
Ask a new question

Read More

BIOS Motherboards