Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How do I configure my PC properly?

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 27, 2014 6:31:22 AM

Hello, TH community :) 

So I'm about to order the parts for a PC and build it myself; I'm sure all of the components are compatible with each other, but I'm really confused as to how I'm supposed to set the computer up in the first place (Enabling AHCI mode for SSD, PWM fans, drivers - most confusing) and I don't want to make any mistakes because I want the computer to remain in good shape for as long as possible. I may just be over-complicating things (as usual) but I've read quite a few articles about this and people keep saying that you need to ensure you have the latest motherboard firmware (before installing Windows?!!?) to enable AHCI/TRIM...

So here are my queries...
1: How do I enable AHCI/TRIM on intial startup?
2: How do I operate PWM fans?
3: Are there any facilities to update all drivers automatically?
oh and 4: When it comes to firmware/drivers, especially motherboard fw, which revision should I download (only the latest?) and where?

Thank you in advance, I know I'm a greenhorn :) 

Relevant components:
Two Noctua NF-F12 fans
Asus MAXIMUS VI FORMULA motherboard
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB or Intel 530 240GB SSD (which one?)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT
Plextor Internal DVD drive

BTW, only using an SSD so that might simplify the boot process

More about : configure properly

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 27, 2014 6:46:05 AM

Dear,

Good to know that you've selected Maximus VI Formula (Bty I'm using same mobo). Answers are as follow:

1. AHCI is by default enabled. No need to do any thing special. TRIM is something which is supported by Windows. Windows 7 is trim enabled. So No issue there.

2. You really don't need to operate PWM fans. Let mobo handle the speed. If you still want to control the speed then you can use AISuite software which is available on the mobo CD.

3. Yes, using AISuite software, you can update the drivers automatically.

4. You're talking about BIOS update. Again use AISuite software to do it for you.

Should you've more questions, let me know.

Welcome to ROG :) 

Good luck and have a wonderful experience with Formula (The Beautiful Beast)
Share
February 27, 2014 7:00:37 AM

EasyLover said:
Dear,

Good to know that you've selected Maximus VI Formula (Bty I'm using same mobo). Answers are as follow:

1. AHCI is by default enabled. No need to do any thing special. TRIM is something which is supported by Windows. Windows 7 is trim enabled. So No issue there.

2. You really don't need to operate PWM fans. Let mobo handle the speed. If you still want to control the speed then you can use AISuite software which is available on the mobo CD.

3. Yes, using AISuite software, you can update the drivers automatically.

4. You're talking about BIOS update. Again use AISuite software to do it for you.

Should you've more questions, let me know.

Welcome to ROG :) 

Good luck and have a wonderful experience with Formula (The Beautiful Beast)


Thanks for the information (and speedy response)! BTW do you find Intel or Samsung to be more reliable in terms of SSDs?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 27, 2014 7:02:21 AM

SKf0rest said:
EasyLover said:
Dear,

Good to know that you've selected Maximus VI Formula (Bty I'm using same mobo). Answers are as follow:

1. AHCI is by default enabled. No need to do any thing special. TRIM is something which is supported by Windows. Windows 7 is trim enabled. So No issue there.

2. You really don't need to operate PWM fans. Let mobo handle the speed. If you still want to control the speed then you can use AISuite software which is available on the mobo CD.

3. Yes, using AISuite software, you can update the drivers automatically.

4. You're talking about BIOS update. Again use AISuite software to do it for you.

Should you've more questions, let me know.

Welcome to ROG :) 

Good luck and have a wonderful experience with Formula (The Beautiful Beast)


Thanks for the information (and speedy response)! BTW do you find Intel or Samsung to be more reliable in terms of SSDs?


Both are reliable. At the end, it depends upon your budget for buying the SSD. Samsung is a very good brand in SSD. I'm using Corsair LS series SSD. You won't feel any difference while using SSD of any brand though.
m
0
l
February 27, 2014 7:05:40 AM

EasyLover said:
SKf0rest said:
EasyLover said:
Dear,

Good to know that you've selected Maximus VI Formula (Bty I'm using same mobo). Answers are as follow:

1. AHCI is by default enabled. No need to do any thing special. TRIM is something which is supported by Windows. Windows 7 is trim enabled. So No issue there.

2. You really don't need to operate PWM fans. Let mobo handle the speed. If you still want to control the speed then you can use AISuite software which is available on the mobo CD.

3. Yes, using AISuite software, you can update the drivers automatically.

4. You're talking about BIOS update. Again use AISuite software to do it for you.

Should you've more questions, let me know.

Welcome to ROG :) 

Good luck and have a wonderful experience with Formula (The Beautiful Beast)


Thanks for the information (and speedy response)! BTW do you find Intel or Samsung to be more reliable in terms of SSDs?


Both are reliable. At the end, it depends upon your budget for buying the SSD. Samsung is a very good brand in SSD. I'm using Corsair LS series SSD. You won't feel any difference while using SSD of any brand though.


Okay thanks :) 
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 27, 2014 7:22:14 AM

Which graphics card and CPU you've chosen?
m
0
l
February 27, 2014 8:58:15 AM

EasyLover said:
Which graphics card and CPU you've chosen?


Asus GTX 770 (2GB) and i7 4770k
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 27, 2014 9:20:54 AM

Excellent. Good Luck. Hopefully, PSU will be sufficient to power the system.
m
0
l
February 27, 2014 11:21:42 AM

EasyLover said:
Excellent. Good Luck. Hopefully, PSU will be sufficient to power the system.


Thanks. I'm thinking about a Corsair RM650 or 750 :)  Should be enough
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 27, 2014 7:33:14 PM

SKf0rest said:
EasyLover said:
Excellent. Good Luck. Hopefully, PSU will be sufficient to power the system.


Thanks. I'm thinking about a Corsair RM650 or 750 :)  Should be enough


Yes. When buying PSU check the amps on +12v rail(s). In modern PSUs, this figure is above 40, which is good. Efficiency of 85%+ is good as well.
m
0
l
February 28, 2014 9:17:03 AM

EasyLover said:
SKf0rest said:
EasyLover said:
Excellent. Good Luck. Hopefully, PSU will be sufficient to power the system.


Thanks. I'm thinking about a Corsair RM650 or 750 :)  Should be enough


Yes. When buying PSU check the amps on +12v rail(s). In modern PSUs, this figure is above 40, which is good. Efficiency of 85%+ is good as well.


Hm, checked the specsheet on Corsair's website and found no information on amps...
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2014 9:47:23 AM

Don't worry Corsair RM650 has 54Amps on +12v rail and 92% efficiency with Over-voltage and over-current protection, under-voltage protection, and short circuit protection. Good choice
m
0
l
February 28, 2014 6:30:06 PM

EasyLover said:
Don't worry Corsair RM650 has 54Amps on +12v rail and 92% efficiency with Over-voltage and over-current protection, under-voltage protection, and short circuit protection. Good choice


Thanks, just ordered all of the parts, I was shocked when I discovered the VI Formula only has a 3-year warranty (compared to 5 on the Sabertooth), don't they both have TUF components? Also, I was wondering will Broadwell support Socket LGA 1150 motherboards, I've heard there'll be a refresh again (^_^)
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2014 10:01:43 PM

Yes, Formula has 3 years warranty, sabertooth has 5 years warranty. Formula is partially TUF. Is warranty your criteria or the performance? Broadwell is a new architecture which will have support for LGA1150 socet mobos as well. Sources are terming it as Z97 chipset.

Dear, when it comes to technology, it is changing rapidly. If you continue to wait then remember there is no stopping to tech development! :) 
m
0
l
!