Solved

problem with new HDD

Hello!
So I bought a WD Blue 1TB, 64MB, 7200rpm to replace my old WD Caviar Green. One time my bios didn't recognize it and then it seem to take a long time doing stuff: took about 20 min to complete the windows installation( the last step i mean), about 15 min to update the registry at first windows start-up, the it froze my windows explorer when trying to find a video driver. So I took it to the store and got a replacement.
The problem is that when I tried to install windows on the second one, the setup seemed stuck when creating a partition. I waited for about 30min then I manually restarted the pc and tried again. This time I just went with one partition and started to install windows. I got an error during the installation. Then I tried to enter the windows setup again to format the failed windows installation but now my pc won't pass the first screen. It detects the processor, memory, even the drives but it will just remain there.
I don't know what is wrong. Using the old HDD now.
Thank you in advance!
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about problem hdd
  1. I've been using WD exclusively for over 15 years and never seen/heard of this however the evidence you presents says you have a bad drive. You might try stepping up to a WD black or try a Seagate.
  2. ram1009 said:
    I've been using WD exclusively for over 15 years and never seen/heard of this however the evidence you presents says you have a bad drive. You might try stepping up to a WD black or try a Seagate.

    well i considered the first to be a bad drive, but even the second?
  3. Do you have another sata port to try or data cable?
  4. Best answer
    Mihai Terhes said:
    ram1009 said:
    I've been using WD exclusively for over 15 years and never seen/heard of this however the evidence you presents says you have a bad drive. You might try stepping up to a WD black or try a Seagate.

    well i considered the first to be a bad drive, but even the second?


    I hear you but you must admit that's what the symptoms say. I recently bought and returned 3 headsets that were all DOA.
  5. reedo_43 said:
    Do you have another sata port to try or data cable?


    I tried with another cable and another sata port. Everything went okay until I reached the last part of the windows setup(the one with completing the install). There I waited for 1 hour to "finish" but nothing so I reset and I was back to my computer not advancing past the bios detecting the drives.
  6. Mihai Terhes said:
    reedo_43 said:
    Do you have another sata port to try or data cable?


    I tried with another cable and another sata port. Everything went okay until I reached the last part of the windows setup(the one with completing the install). There I waited for 1 hour to "finish" but nothing so I reset and I was back to my computer not advancing past the bios detecting the drives.



    Is this computer home built or store bought?
  7. ram1009 said:
    Mihai Terhes said:
    reedo_43 said:
    Do you have another sata port to try or data cable?


    I tried with another cable and another sata port. Everything went okay until I reached the last part of the windows setup(the one with completing the install). There I waited for 1 hour to "finish" but nothing so I reset and I was back to my computer not advancing past the bios detecting the drives.



    Is this computer home built or store bought?



    home built, worked perfectly for almost 3 years until i started getting bad sectors on old hard so i decided to change it
  8. Mihai Terhes said:
    ram1009 said:
    Mihai Terhes said:
    reedo_43 said:
    Do you have another sata port to try or data cable?


    I tried with another cable and another sata port. Everything went okay until I reached the last part of the windows setup(the one with completing the install). There I waited for 1 hour to "finish" but nothing so I reset and I was back to my computer not advancing past the bios detecting the drives.



    Is this computer home built or store bought?



    home built, worked perfectly for almost 3 years until i started getting bad sectors on old hard so i decided to change it


    This seems remote to me but I'll let you decide. The new HDD consumes more power than the greenee. Is it possible you have a failing PSU? Do you have another you can switch?
  9. Thank you for all your help. I returned it to the store and they tested it and it was a bad drive after all. I switched to a Seagate now.
  10. Mihai Terhes said:
    Thank you for all your help. I returned it to the store and they tested it and it was a bad drive after all. I switched to a Seagate now.


    You're welcome.
Ask a new question

Read More

Western Digital Windows Storage Hard Drives