Solved

RAM compatibility questions

Will a 2400 work on a 1600(max) motherboard ram slot?
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ram compatibility questions
  1. Generally at 1066 to 1600
  2. Tradesman1 said:
    Generally at 1066 to 1600


    So that's a no right?..
  3. If believe you can down clock the memory, but it would help if we have specifics. Motherboard and Memory maker and model.
  4. tachybana said:
    If believe you can down clock the memory, but it would help if we have specifics. Motherboard and Memory maker and model.


    Oh I don't wanna go through all that.. So it's best to buy new RAM that's compatible with my new motherboard?

    I'm downgrading motherboard and processor, it's a waste of money of having such a high end computer and only surfing the internet and playing 1 FPS game.
  5. You're downgrading your motherboard and processor? huh! What exactly are you looking to do? Again if you provided details of your hardware, then we can probably assist you with what you're trying to do (or upgrade)
  6. tachybana said:
    You're downgrading your motherboard and processor? huh! What exactly are you looking to do? Again if you provided details of your hardware, then we can probably assist you with what you're trying to do (or upgrade)


    I'm downgrading from an i7 3770k on z77a gd65 gaming to an amd 8320 on MSI 970A-G46
  7. You are aware that an i7 3770k uses much less power than an FX 8320 in every possible circumstance, right?
  8. rakadedo said:
    You are aware that an i7 3770k uses much less power than an FX 8320 in every possible circumstance, right?


    I could care less about power man, I just wanna save my money to be honest.
  9. the max Mhz on the AMD board is 2133. If you're buying new memory for the AMD Board make certain its 1600mhz (anything higher is a waste of $$)

    Also you mentione 1FPS Gaming. What video card is giving you this problem?
  10. So...your plan is to save money by buying new things and not using stuff you already have, as well as having the new stuff cost you more money in electricity as well?
  11. tachybana said:
    You're downgrading your motherboard and processor? huh! What exactly are you looking to do? Again if you provided details of your hardware, then we can probably assist you with what you're trying to do (or upgrade)


    tachybana said:
    the max Mhz on the AMD board is 2133. If you're buying new memory for the AMD Board make certain its 1600mhz (anything higher is a waste of $$)

    Also you mentione 1FPS Gaming. What video card is giving you this problem?


    So 1600 vs 2133 is barely any difference? I guess I'll go with the 1600 then and sell my 16gb 2400.

    rakadedo said:
    So...your plan is to save money by buying new things and not using stuff you already have, as well as having the new stuff cost you more money in electricity as well?


    My Dad is paying for the electricity bills so yeah...
  12. I guess I'm still not understanding how you save money by spending it to buy new things when you already have a functioning computer
  13. rakadedo said:
    I guess I'm still not understanding how you save money by spending it to buy new things when you already have a functioning computer


    Okay look...

    The value of the i7 and 8320 are 2 completely different values..

    I'm buying the 8320 brand new for $100, might as well take advantage of that.
  14. tachybana said:
    the max Mhz on the AMD board is 2133. If you're buying new memory for the AMD Board make certain its 1600mhz (anything higher is a waste of $$)

    Also you mentione 1FPS Gaming. What video card is giving you this problem?


    Oh I mean as in one FPS game in general. (CSGO) I have a 6970 so that's good enough for that game.

    Which is a better buy out of these 2?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445
  15. Okay wait, when you said "I'm downgrading" earlier, did you actually mean that instead of buying an i7 you were going to instead buy the 8320? Because that's not what downgrading means, as that implies you already own the i7 and plan on replacing it with a new motherboard and processor.

    If you're building a new computer from nothing and you only do very light gaming and general web browsing, just buy a core i3 or an amd apu.
  16. Best answer
    Iglesias said:
    tachybana said:
    the max Mhz on the AMD board is 2133. If you're buying new memory for the AMD Board make certain its 1600mhz (anything higher is a waste of $$)

    Also you mentione 1FPS Gaming. What video card is giving you this problem?


    Oh I mean as in one FPS game in general. (CSGO) I have a 6970 so that's good enough for that game.

    Which is a better buy out of these 2?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445

    The second has better timings.
  17. rakadedo said:
    Okay wait, when you said "I'm downgrading" earlier, did you actually mean that instead of buying an i7 you were going to instead buy the 8320? Because that's not what downgrading means, as that implies you already own the i7 and plan on replacing it with a new motherboard and processor.

    If you're building a new computer from nothing and you only do very light gaming and general web browsing, just buy a core i3 or an amd apu.


    Jesus, I already have the i7, I am selling that right now and replacing that with an 8320.
    No, the 8320 is only $108 brand new in my area.
  18. If you are selling the old (including the 2400 DRAM) you should be able to get enough for the 2400 DRAM to buy new 1333 or 1600 sticks and probably a burger or two for lunch also
  19. Tradesman1 said:
    If you are selling the old (including the 2400 DRAM) you should be able to get enough for the 2400 DRAM to buy new 1333 or 1600 sticks and probably a burger or two for lunch also


    I know, I already sold my pairs of the 2400 ram sticks.

    I just bought:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Compatibility Motherboards Memory