Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need monitor suggestions, struggling

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 27, 2014 7:02:50 PM

Hello,

For months I was set on upgrading my monitor to the ASUS VS278Q-P Black 27" http:// but I recently realized it's not an IPS Panel. Sure the response time is 1ms but now I am set on getting an IPS monitor. (Unless the ASUS VS278Q-P 27" is a good pick)

I'm looking for IPS monitor suggestions with the limitations of being no less than 23" and response time no greater than 5ms.


I've been looking at the ASUS VS239H-P Black 23" http:// and so far this is my pick for now, unless someone suggests a better one or 24"

Thank you!
Related resources
February 27, 2014 7:14:21 PM



Thank you for the suggestions, I will look into these more. I've noticed that a lot of IPS panels do not go low into the Response time area, they stick around 5ms. I'm guessing it's not a huge problem.

Also I was looking into the ASUS MX279H before. I think it's a beautiful monitor, just it doesn't have a Display Port :/  and the 5ms turned me off before, but now that I see that a lot of IPS Panel's have 5ms I am starting to re-think things.
m
0
l
February 27, 2014 7:21:06 PM

5 ms is just fine. I mean the difference between 5ms and 2 is really hardly noticeable and a lot of stuff that is boasted is Marketing.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
February 27, 2014 7:45:07 PM

IPS can not go lower than 5ms. Also, the rating system for response time isn't very accurate so I try to base decisions on reviews too...if possible.

I have a 8ms IPS and 2ms TN and without a doubt the 2ms is needed for BF4, but the IPS is better for Skyrim where things are slower but more colorful. I've always been curious about a 5ms IPS panel. I'm not sure if it really is middle of the road or not.

What are you going to use this monitor for? What games?
m
0
l
February 27, 2014 8:05:14 PM

envy14tpe said:
IPS can not go lower than 5ms. Also, the rating system for response time isn't very accurate so I try to base decisions on reviews too...if possible.

I have a 8ms IPS and 2ms TN and without a doubt the 2ms is needed for BF4, but the IPS is better for Skyrim where things are slower but more colorful. I've always been curious about a 5ms IPS panel. I'm not sure if it really is middle of the road or not.

What are you going to use this monitor for? What games?


I am a gamer and intend on using my new monitor for games. I play a wide variety of games, majority of FPS (Arma, Rust, PlanetSide 2, Borderlands, ect.) and WoW. Also programming on the side.

I've been watching reviews on the MX279H from LinusTechTips & NCIX and I'm liking it more and more. Because my original plan was to upgrade to 27" (currently at 24") and keep a decent response time.
m
0
l
February 27, 2014 8:17:57 PM

Try this Monitor. Mine should be here tomorrow. Cheap, Good Reviews, IPS Panel, 5 ms, Framless. AOC I2769VM. 27 inches of goodness
m
0
l
February 27, 2014 8:38:55 PM

Memhorder said:
Try this Monitor. Mine should be here tomorrow. Cheap, Good Reviews, IPS Panel, 5 ms, Framless. AOC I2769VM. 27 inches of goodness


Thank you for your suggestion! I will look into this monitor as well.
m
0
l
February 28, 2014 10:29:57 AM

Get a BenQ Monitor with 120hz Belive me its the best Choice
U can watch reviews on Youtube
m
0
l
February 28, 2014 12:14:33 PM

BerZerK92 said:
Get a BenQ Monitor with 120hz Belive me its the best Choice
U can watch reviews on Youtube



I've watched a quite of few reviews on the BenQ monitors. I won't lie the 120hz is a great advantage, but they are more $$$ plus they're also TN Panels :/ 

It's hard because I do intend on doing A LOT of gaming so in the right mind I would want to go with the high hz, but sacrificing the extra hz for a better image. Idk it's a tough pick for me.
m
0
l
February 28, 2014 1:10:09 PM

Kavinsky said:
BerZerK92 said:
Get a BenQ Monitor with 120hz Belive me its the best Choice
U can watch reviews on Youtube



I've watched a quite of few reviews on the BenQ monitors. I won't lie the 120hz is a great advantage, but they are more $$$ plus they're also TN Panels :/ 

It's hard because I do intend on doing A LOT of gaming so in the right mind I would want to go with the high hz, but sacrificing the extra hz for a better image. Idk it's a tough pick for me.


I have a HP v2007w and the Image is quite good i recommend u that monitor its not that Expensive :) 

m
0
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
February 28, 2014 9:53:35 PM

Price difference is really big but I'd rather have the 27" one.
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($160.00 @ B&H)
Total: $160.00
Monitor: Asus MX279H 27.0" Monitor ($309.42 @ Amazon)
Total: $309.42
Share
March 1, 2014 8:45:09 AM

envy14tpe said:
Price difference is really big but I'd rather have the 27" one.
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($160.00 @ B&H)
Total: $160.00
Monitor: Asus MX279H 27.0" Monitor ($309.42 @ Amazon)
Total: $309.42


The way I look at it it's going to be roughly the same price, because if I do decide on the Asus VS239H-P then I will get 2, which will total around $320

I'm pretty sure I am going to go with the Asus MX279H
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
March 1, 2014 8:10:04 PM

Using 2 24" monitors is nice if you have different purposes. If you were to get two then I'd get a TN panel and IPS panel monitors. I did this. One is for photo editing and videos, whereas the TN panel is for gaming. Something to consider.

A single fast 27" monitor will look cleaner and take up less desk space.
m
0
l
March 1, 2014 8:58:48 PM

envy14tpe said:
Using 2 24" monitors is nice if you have different purposes. If you were to get two then I'd get a TN panel and IPS panel monitors. I did this. One is for photo editing and videos, whereas the TN panel is for gaming. Something to consider.

A single fast 27" monitor will look cleaner and take up less desk space.


I understand, and I've thought about this. If I go with the IPS MX279H, will it be that noticeable compared to a TN with lower Response time?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
March 1, 2014 9:33:47 PM

Kavinsky said:
envy14tpe said:
Using 2 24" monitors is nice if you have different purposes. If you were to get two then I'd get a TN panel and IPS panel monitors. I did this. One is for photo editing and videos, whereas the TN panel is for gaming. Something to consider.

A single fast 27" monitor will look cleaner and take up less desk space.


I understand, and I've thought about this. If I go with the IPS MX279H, will it be that noticeable compared to a TN with lower Response time?


I can not answer that. I do know my 8ms IPS panel is not suitable for fast gaming, but the IPS looks better for Skyrim.
m
0
l
March 2, 2014 9:57:02 AM

Hey just got the AOC I2769VM. Looking at it. It works very nicely. 5 ms is just fine. 27 IS huge. I didn't think 3 inches would make much difference but it does. I love it.
m
0
l
March 4, 2014 9:43:01 AM

Memhorder said:
Hey just got the AOC I2769VM. Looking at it. It works very nicely. 5 ms is just fine. 27 IS huge. I didn't think 3 inches would make much difference but it does. I love it.


That's awesome!

Did you try any FPS games on it, if so did you notice a huge loss compared to a lower Response time?
m
0
l
March 4, 2014 1:39:17 PM

Kavinsky said:
Memhorder said:
Hey just got the AOC I2769VM. Looking at it. It works very nicely. 5 ms is just fine. 27 IS huge. I didn't think 3 inches would make much difference but it does. I love it.


That's awesome!

Did you try any FPS games on it, if so did you notice a huge loss compared to a lower Response time?


The only FPS game I've tried so far is Ghost Recon Online. Looks great. I'm planning for BF4 soon. I wanted to wait until all bugs are fixed. There is an acceleration feature on this monitor to prevent ghosting. I don't know man looks sharp. I've even tried moving the camera around quickly back and forth on Assassins Creed Black Flag to see if it blurs but it's pretty good. I don't think I could ever go back to 24 inch. My Girlfriends looks so small lol
m
0
l
March 4, 2014 3:50:56 PM

Memhorder said:
Kavinsky said:
Memhorder said:
Hey just got the AOC I2769VM. Looking at it. It works very nicely. 5 ms is just fine. 27 IS huge. I didn't think 3 inches would make much difference but it does. I love it.


That's awesome!

Did you try any FPS games on it, if so did you notice a huge loss compared to a lower Response time?


The only FPS game I've tried so far is Ghost Recon Online. Looks great. I'm planning for BF4 soon. I wanted to wait until all bugs are fixed. There is an acceleration feature on this monitor to prevent ghosting. I don't know man looks sharp. I've even tried moving the camera around quickly back and forth on Assassins Creed Black Flag to see if it blurs but it's pretty good. I don't think I could ever go back to 24 inch. My Girlfriends looks so small lol


Wow that's pretty impressive. This makes me want to go with the MX279H now.

Ghost Recon Online you say? Is it any good? I might have to look into this.
m
0
l
March 4, 2014 8:23:22 PM

Kavinsky said:
Memhorder said:
Kavinsky said:
Memhorder said:
Hey just got the AOC I2769VM. Looking at it. It works very nicely. 5 ms is just fine. 27 IS huge. I didn't think 3 inches would make much difference but it does. I love it.


That's awesome!

Did you try any FPS games on it, if so did you notice a huge loss compared to a lower Response time?


The only FPS game I've tried so far is Ghost Recon Online. Looks great. I'm planning for BF4 soon. I wanted to wait until all bugs are fixed. There is an acceleration feature on this monitor to prevent ghosting. I don't know man looks sharp. I've even tried moving the camera around quickly back and forth on Assassins Creed Black Flag to see if it blurs but it's pretty good. I don't think I could ever go back to 24 inch. My Girlfriends looks so small lol


Wow that's pretty impressive. This makes me want to go with the MX279H now.

Ghost Recon Online you say? Is it any good? I might have to look into this.


Yeah I like the size. 5 ms works great for me and yeah do some Ghost Recon online. Pretty addictive game and it's free. Don't worry it's the full game too. Pretty impressive for a free game. Of course you can buy stuff too I'm tempted. You'll have to install Uplay by Ubisoft. Fun Fun here's the site to get you started http://uplay.ubi.com/ Oh yeah the MX279H I'm looking at it now. Nice. Go for it.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
March 8, 2014 1:44:46 AM

If possible try to see if you can try monitors at a store. This may be possible in a place like BestBuy. Grab a 2ms TN gaming monitor and compare it to the fastest (5ms or 6ms) IPS monitor you can find. Play a fast action game and see how it feels.
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 12:24:39 PM

envy14tpe said:
IPS can not go lower than 5ms. Also, the rating system for response time isn't very accurate so I try to base decisions on reviews too...if possible.

I have a 8ms IPS and 2ms TN and without a doubt the 2ms is needed for BF4, but the IPS is better for Skyrim where things are slower but more colorful. I've always been curious about a 5ms IPS panel. I'm not sure if it really is middle of the road or not.

What are you going to use this monitor for? What games?


Exacly. A lot of what you hear is boasting for marketing purposes. 5 ms is just fine I mean that would be ridiculous if someone could notice the difference of 3ms. That is 3 One thousandths of a second and one companies grey to grey is different from another. Like Envy said Reviews Reviews Reviews more Reviews.
m
0
l
!