FX 8150 good enough for gaming?

Solution
It should be enough for gaming. The requirements for games in recent years didn't jumped that much as it used before, most players can play them fine on 3-4 year old rigs with decent details, unless they didn't got some office PC. In games the most important is your GPU anyways, CPU gets major role only if you try to play with a multiplayer crowd.

The only problem I see that is a older and not really successful architecture, though for a 8 core CPU it doesn't eats much - 125W, which will also mean it has some space for overclocking if you have a better cooler. I would say keep it, will run current games just fine, for a Trinity architecture you would probably also need a new motherboard with socket FM2, since the 8150 is for the older AM+3
The 8150 is not the greatest gaming CPU, largely because the Bulldozer CPUs suffered from rather poor single threaded performance, and few games scale across 8 cores to compensate for that. On some CPU heavy games you might hit a bit of a bottleneck with that card. If you don't want to move up to Piledriver, you best option is to slap on an aftermarket cooler and try your hand at overclocking, that will help out with its rather anemic per core performance.

madsmagnus

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
I probably wouldn't worry about it so far. If you actually start to see that you arent getting the performance your expect - then go check out some benchmarks on the 7970 (or 280X, roughly same card) and see if they correspond with what you are getting. If not, then maybe you are playing a game that is demanding when it comes to single-thread performance and you can see if you want to upgrade.

Please just remember that the CPU you have there isn't THAT old. I have a friend with a X4 965 and it runs just fine nowadays..

madsmagnus

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
I already said it - why do you have such a need to find out how good the CPU is when you already own it? Seriously unless you experience that the chip isn't living up to what you want then know this: the chip is still "good", and by good the chip is better than what over 50% of the market owns.

You already bought it, live with it :)

akiranyo

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
It should be enough for gaming. The requirements for games in recent years didn't jumped that much as it used before, most players can play them fine on 3-4 year old rigs with decent details, unless they didn't got some office PC. In games the most important is your GPU anyways, CPU gets major role only if you try to play with a multiplayer crowd.

The only problem I see that is a older and not really successful architecture, though for a 8 core CPU it doesn't eats much - 125W, which will also mean it has some space for overclocking if you have a better cooler. I would say keep it, will run current games just fine, for a Trinity architecture you would probably also need a new motherboard with socket FM2, since the 8150 is for the older AM+3

Solution