i7-4930 motherboard suggestions for editing

Lexi g

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
I need some suggestions on motherboards that will be efficient for the
i7-4930. I plan on editing mostly. I want the 4930 for the 6 core and comp longevity.

The two boards I pulled out of the bunch are,
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4
$250
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128562

ASUS X79 DELUXE
$350
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132047

Is the deluxe worth the extra features? Is there a motherboard cheaper, but as good, without the extra's the deluxe has? I'm a noob and need a pro's help. I've yet to decide on a graphics card too. I'm trying to keep the build under 1700 much as I can because monitors, keyboard, and mouse are still needed. I've been saving for 6 months since my brother took the good family computer to college....lol!

my build so far:
Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz LGA 2011 130W
Corsair Neutron Series GTX 2.5"
120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Thermaltake SP-1000M 1000W powersupply
A 1 or 2 tb HD.
16gb of ram. I wanna have room to up the ram when I get money for it.
A white case of some type.
One White monitor. Going to get another when I get the money.
and a white keyboard.

White is my theme =)

Thanks for any help!

Lexi g

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Hi Bruce!

I would like to overclock, but it's not a priority. Having the option is nice though. Would that actually help in the video editing? For render time and such? I do plan to dynamic link after effects and premiere pro.

Since both are able to be overclocked. How much is the difference between them for overclocking speed? From what I see between the spec pages at newegg. x79 supports up to 2800 ram. I plan on using 2400. But i've read that sometimes 2400 ram can't run at that speed and has to be dropped to 2200 or 2133. You think that will happen with this motherboard? Is less speed ram better?
The x79 has a extra PCI-e. That's for SLI? My brother says get that so i can add another video card at a later time. Then the x79 has the onboard LAN and Wi-fi. Do i need that? it sounds cool because I Know bluetooth is cool. But wi-fi? Is'nt that what the computer connect's to the internet already?

I'm so confused, I have done so much reading. All this stuff is crazy. And my brother just makes it crazy. Sooo many types of everything. But i'm determined to make my first computer and learn all this stuff lol.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

~Lexi

Lexi said "And my brother just makes it crazy." Brothers are supposed to do that.;-)
The speed of the RAM you will use with an X79 motherboard will not make a huge difference in performance. The memory bandwidth of X79 is very high because there are 4 stick of RAM running in Quad channel. OCing will improve the render times but you will have to get a good cpu cooler to keep the cpu temps down.
The Asus P9X79 has decent reviews for a mobo that does not cost to much. Sli will be most useful to your brother if he wants to game - but most X79 mobos have that ability.
-Bruce