Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Hard disk disappeared after new windows

Tags:
  • Windows
  • Windows 8
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Windows 8
February 28, 2014 10:19:24 PM

I have had two hard disks in my PC
disk0 and disk1
with windows 8.1 installed in disk1
For some reason i've removed Windows and installed it again normaly in the same drive
And suddenly , windows can't read disk0 :( 

ScreenShoot from MyComputer
http://bit.ly/1hssoUB


ScreenShoot from disk management
http://bit.ly/NeSRdc

More about : hard disk disappeared windows

a b * Windows 8
February 28, 2014 10:34:17 PM

In Disk Management what happens when you right-click on the affected drive. Does it give you the option of assigning a drive letter or is that option grayed out. From the screen shot it shows that there is an active partition, however because it doesn't have a drive letter, it appears to the OS as an unformatted volume. Did you have data on this drive before re-installing Windows?

If you didn't have data on the drive then it should just be a simple matter of formatting it. If you did, you can try to find a recovery software and see if it can restore the MFT and hopefully your files.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
February 28, 2014 10:34:42 PM

did you raid your hdd in the bios? Check the SATA mode in bios.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 28, 2014 10:48:39 PM

techgeek said:
In Disk Management what happens when you right-click on the affected drive. Does it give you the option of assigning a drive letter or is that option grayed out. From the screen shot it shows that there is an active partition, however because it doesn't have a drive letter, it appears to the OS as an unformatted volume. Did you have data on this drive before re-installing Windows?

If you didn't have data on the drive then it should just be a simple matter of formatting it. If you did, you can try to find a recovery software and see if it can restore the MFT and hopefully your files.


Thanks for reply :) 
When i right-click on it , it gives me the option "change drive letter and paths"
If i assigned the letter , would i lose my data ??
I have important data on it :/ 
brarboy said:
did you raid your hdd in the bios? Check the SATA mode in bios.

Thanks alot :)  , but i don't know what you meant by "raid the hdd" ?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
February 28, 2014 11:28:39 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but if it is allowing you to "change" drive letters than it must see a valid formatted partition on the drive. Odd that Windows wouldn't assign a drive letter to it during the install.

One thing I would try before assigning it a drive letter. Shut your computer down. Unplug the SATA cable from the affected drive. Boot back into Windows. Shutdown again, reconnect the drive and boot up again. This could nudge Windows into assigning it a drive letter on it's own.
Share
February 28, 2014 11:53:55 PM

techgeek said:
I'm not 100% sure, but if it is allowing you to "change" drive letters than it must see a valid formatted partition on the drive. Odd that Windows wouldn't assign a drive letter to it during the install.

One thing I would try before assigning it a drive letter. Shut your computer down. Unplug the SATA cable from the affected drive. Boot back into Windows. Shutdown again, reconnect the drive and boot up again. This could nudge Windows into assigning it a drive letter on it's own.


It works ,Like a magic :D 
Thaaaaaanks alot ^_^
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
March 1, 2014 12:02:42 AM

No problem. Did you use the disconnect / reconnect method?
m
0
l