FX-6350 vs i5-3450

SystemOO

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Hello

the pc will be for gaming, the i5 comes with a b75 motherboard and the fx with m5a97 r2.0, i don't do any overclocking so which should i choose?
i've seen users in several forums saying the fx is good now and great for future games while the i5 4 cores will struggle in the future, is that true?

Shneiky

Distinguished
No, that is not completely true. The I5 has a higher computational output per core/thread compared to FX 6300 regardless of the numbers of cores. The cores are entirely different and function in a fundamentally different way. The I5 is the better gaming CPU. Only in some specific scenarios, such as heavy rendering where both CPUs are fully loaded, the FX and the I5 are more or less equal. In other scenarios with varying load (such as games) the I5 wins hands down.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
Fx is good for now...that's true. an Ivy i5 will struggle in future...if that means in the next 3-4 years, the answer is it won't. The i5's IPC, simply put the processing speed to execute an instruction thread is superior to that of the best FX chips and by quiet a margin.

Both the combinations you are looking at would make great gaming systems but your experience with a game is largely driven by the gpu you put in.
Again, both of the above combo's will be able to drive a powerful gpu effectively provided you chose a B75 mobo of a quality as good as that of the Asus M597A. Summing up, it all come down to the best gpu that you can afford with every other system component being high quality and same in the two combos.

as a "for instance", if the i5 allows you an HD 7870 and the FX allows for a GTX770, go with the latter. if they are both allowing you nearly the same gpu, pick the i5.