780 OC questions

Maciek Fulton

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Hello, I had a couple questions about over clocking. I have a zotac 780 amp! Clocked at 1006 (default) 1059 (boost) and 1552 (mem) . I was reading that the card could overclock well, even though its already OCed out of the box.

I was able to run Vally benchmark w/o oc on ultra @ 1080 at avg 68.6 fps, and a score of 2869. With an OC of http://postimg.org/image/vf19669dl/full/ that gave me avg of 75.2 fps and a score of 3145.

My question is, how do people get higher stable OC on their cards at higher clocks on air? I war reading http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/59857-zotac-geforce-gtx-780-amp-edition-updated/?page=11 and that had a higher clock on the ram and the gpu on the same card, but when I tried to run a benchmark, it would crash in 8 sec. I believe the voltage is locked on the card, so I was wondering how they were able to run a full vally benchmark at those speeds.

Also, If I can run a benchmark at a certain clock, does that mean I can run a game without crashing? (metro last light did not like the OC on the card, even though Vally was able to run 3 times in a row, it would crash metro every 1.5 hrs)

My rig

1080 Acer monitor
i7 3770k (OC 4.3 Ghz)
Zotac 780 AMP!
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
8 gb (2x4) ddr3 1600 low profile ram
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Mobo
OCZ 700w Bronze PSU
1TB Wd black 7200 rpm
1TB wd green 5400 rpm
Thor V2 (x3 230mm, x1 140mm) ATX full case

Solution
http://www.overclock.net/t/1393791/official-nvidia-gtx-780-owners-club
everything you need to know is there. you can flash a skynet custom bios if you would like. look down for occamrazor overclocking guide.

i have an evga classified 780 with a skynet bios and so far for me at 1.212v max allowed in afterburner ive gotten up to 1350mhz core and 1650mhz mem. my memory isn't overclocking so well but my core seems promising. my extreme hd valley score was 3349@80.0 fps.

for starters valley loves memory overclocks. but you should start off leaving the memory alone. also use msi afterburner as it has more features for 780's. max out the voltage to 1.212v on the core and keep moving the core speed up until you either crash or are...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1393791/official-nvidia-gtx-780-owners-club
everything you need to know is there. you can flash a skynet custom bios if you would like. look down for occamrazor overclocking guide.

i have an evga classified 780 with a skynet bios and so far for me at 1.212v max allowed in afterburner ive gotten up to 1350mhz core and 1650mhz mem. my memory isn't overclocking so well but my core seems promising. my extreme hd valley score was 3349@80.0 fps.

for starters valley loves memory overclocks. but you should start off leaving the memory alone. also use msi afterburner as it has more features for 780's. max out the voltage to 1.212v on the core and keep moving the core speed up until you either crash or are seeing artifacts in valley. once you find your max you can start pushing the memory up. its likely that the memory being higher will affect the core so you may have to lower the core a little as the memory goes up. you also may have to raise the temp priority up higher for benchmarking. but i personally wouldn't go over 80c for long.

the skynet bios will disable boost, effectively locking in the highest clock state when under load, and allows for a higher power target and makes overclocking a little easier. but you dont have to flash one if you dont feel comfortable.

Solution

Maciek Fulton

Honorable
May 10, 2013

Ok, thanks for the info. Ill look into flashing a BIOS (Im assuming Ill need that to unlock the card voltage) and ill start using afterburner :)

Im not exactly sure what voltage controller your zotac amp uses. there are 4 that i know of, ncp4206 which is the reference controller and its unlockable. my classified uses the chil8318 which is the best but only used on classifieds. then there is ncp4208 which is slightly better than the reference controller, and then there is the digi asp1212 which is locked. you can still control the voltage up to 1.212v i believe. but some are capable of up to 1.35v on the core, although you would need water cooling to functionally run that high core voltage as temps would rise very quickly past comfortable levels.

does your card have dual bios? from what i hear each card manufacture has different rules when it comes to flashing a custom bios. evga seems to honor warranties as long as one of the two bios on their upper range cards is the stock bios. i would read over zotac's warranty information or ask around that 780 thread about it though before you do it. you might be more than happy with a decent overclock without the need for a custom bios. but i dont want you to destroy a warranty on your card without any real benefit.

for now just follow occamrazors gk110 overclocking guide. dont pay attention to the voltmod inside until you know what voltage controller you have. good luck.