Is R7 250 1GBDDR5 suitable for my PC

Anand Shankar

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
Hi guys,
I thought of updating the graphics card in my desktop PC, my specs are as follows
Intel(R) Core(TM) -i3-2100 CPU @3.10GHz 3.10 GHz
4.00 GB RAM DDR3
Window 7 ultimate - (32bit)
currently using Asus NVIDIA GeForce 210 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card
my monitor supports MAX resolution of 1366 x 768
Will Sapphire R7 250 1GBDDR5 be suitable for my PC ?...
if yes which is better Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R7 250 1GB DDR5 (or) Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R7 250 2GB DDR3 Graphics Card

Solution

The PSU should be fine. I couldn't find out how many amperes it has on the +12V rail because my internet access here is limited, but...

OnkelCannabia

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
GDDR5 will definitely be better. The question is, what kind of PSU do you have? Pre-built PCs often come with horrible PSUs and tiny cases that allow little upgradeability. If you have the space and the power, go for it. Unless there is a better alternative. I don't know the market in your country.

Anand Shankar

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014

Actually the PSU in my system is Zebronics made and the model is ZEB-450W(DSATA), I looked it up and I don't understand a bit, also I don't know my Motherboard model I just know it's ASUS. does attaching a GDDR3 graphics card require me to upgrade my motherboard as well. Please help me out here..:)

OnkelCannabia

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

The PSU should be fine. I couldn't find out how many amperes it has on the +12V rail because my internet access here is limited, but the R7 250 isn't very demanding and a 450w is pretty good. Some pre-builts come with nothing more than a hot potato as a PSU.

Your motherboard doesn't card what type of RAM your GPU uses. It will work just fine.

Just a small thing that has always been bothering me: There is no DDR5 RAM and barely anything uses GDDR3. Usually graphic cards use GDDR5 RAM and budget cards as well as CPUs use DDR3. DDR4 is scheduled to launch some time this year for professional use and much later for everyone else. DDR5 doesn't even exist. When people say DDR5 they mean GDDR5. Even websites like Amazon get this wrong now. It is spreading like a disease.

Solution

Anand Shankar

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014

Thanks for the Update... :)