FX-8350 - Hitting High Temps with Hyper 212 EVO

Ctwodub

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
Hi there,

I am not sure what to do going forward with this problem. I recently built a new rig that is using the FX-8350 processor. I before even installing it, I got an aftermarket cooler, the 212 EVO. I started checking my temps last night and at idle I am getting 40c and playing BF4 it was hitting 67c. I know these temps are not normal and are not safe. What could be wrong?!

I mounted the heatsink correctly with the CM thermal compound. I have been reading that I could bring down the CPU voltage a little to cool it down. Would that make much of a temp drop?

Also, when running Prime95 for ~5minutes, my system freezes and becomes completely unresponsive!

Please help out here. This rig is my baby and I don't want to hurt any of the new components.

Thanks!

what are you using the monitor the temps. there are a bunch of different temps, and only 2 of them are really relevant. Also, case fans and have good airflow to get the hot air the evo is pumping out of the case. Lastly, you may have to redo the thermal paste. If it's your first time, you probably did too much. Hell,, it's my 10000th time doing thermal paste and I used too much on my build. HAd to take it off and use less and got better temps. Then took it off again and used less again. lol. No ones' perfect.

Ctwodub

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
I have a Fractal R4 with it's two stock 120MM fans. 1 in front and 1 in back. I am using OpenHWMonitor to monitor my temps, along with CPU-Z for all other CPU info. What is also very strange is that when I run Prime95, it will go for 5 minutes and then freeze everything to where I have to restart my system.