Solved

Good SSD and HDD set up help needed

Hello

I am building a pc for use for gaming, 3D design, rendering, graphic design and video editing.

I have a Samsung EVO 120gb ssd. What should I go with for additional drives? Another ssd or a hdd like the WD Cavalier Black? How should I set them up?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about good ssd hdd set needed
  1. A WD Blue would work, and be a little cheaper than a Black.

    SSD for OS and applications.
    HDD 1 & 2 for all other stuff, game installs, and backups.
  2. The WD caviar blue the blacks are overpriced
  3. USAFRet said:
    A WD Blue would work, and be a little cheaper than a Black.
    Same performance?

    SSD for OS and applications.
    HDD 1 & 2 for all other stuff, game installs, and backups.


    Anonymous said:
    The WD caviar blue the blacks are overpriced


    So dont iinstall games on the ssd?
  4. g335 said:
    USAFRet said:
    A WD Blue would work, and be a little cheaper than a Black.
    Same performance?

    SSD for OS and applications.
    HDD 1 & 2 for all other stuff, game installs, and backups.


    Anonymous said:
    The WD caviar blue the blacks are overpriced


    So dont iinstall games on the ssd?


    All depends on the size of the game install. Some of them are quite large.
    My 128GB SSD has 69GB free. That leaves space for one or two large game installs.
    My meager Steam install is over 50GB. Adding that 50GB to the SSD would seriously bump against space limits.
  5. USAFRet said:
    g335 said:
    USAFRet said:
    A WD Blue would work, and be a little cheaper than a Black.
    Same performance?

    SSD for OS and applications.
    HDD 1 & 2 for all other stuff, game installs, and backups.


    Anonymous said:
    The WD caviar blue the blacks are overpriced


    So dont iinstall games on the ssd?


    All depends on the size of the game install. Some of them are quite large.
    My 128GB SSD has 69GB free. That leaves space for one or two large game installs.
    My meager Steam install is over 50GB. Adding that 50GB to the SSD would seriously bump against space limits.


    I was planning on adding a additional ssd as well as a hdd.
  6. Best answer
    g335 said:


    I was planning on adding a additional ssd as well as a hdd.


    Rock on, then.
    C drive (SSD) for OS and applications.
    Secondary drives (be they SSD or HDD) for other stuff.

    My current main system is:
    SSD for OS and all applications
    SSD for working docs and a game or two
    HDD 1 for all other games, pics, videos, etc.
    HDD 2 for even other stuff.
  7. USAFRet said:
    g335 said:


    I was planning on adding a additional ssd as well as a hdd.


    Rock on, then.
    C drive (SSD) for OS and applications.
    Secondary drives (be they SSD or HDD) for other stuff.

    My current main system is:
    SSD for OS and all applications
    SSD for working docs and a game or two
    HDD 1 for all other games, pics, videos, etc.
    HDD 2 for even other stuff.


    Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage Design Hard Drives