Solved

psu advice on amd fx 8350

haf 912 case
amd fx 8350-antec water cooling fan/radiator
ddr3 1600mhz ram (2 sticks) A-data
msi ddr3 2gb gpu
3 system fans also


I got system thru cyberpowerpc after weeks of researching with the fx 8350. Every system on newegg showed least 500-600 watt psu. So fed-ex arrives and open box to find "Sparkle 350 watt psu. Just trying to open multiple windows and games freezes up. I realize can be other issue, and not the cheap psu.

Any thoughts or advice on what should do.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about psu advice amd 8350
  1. Get a decent 550w PSU so that you can add a GPU if you want later on? Would be good just for the headroom to be honest. Guessing your in the U.S?

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $19.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-02 15:33 EST-0500)
  2. spat55 said:
    Get a decent 550w PSU so that you can add a GPU if you want later on? Would be good just for the headroom to be honest. Guessing your in the U.S?

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $19.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-02 15:33 EST-0500)
  3. Yep good ole USA in Washington state. I was eyeing this psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013.
    Also corsair same price. Money an issue for me after pc purchase, under $100

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
  4. Best answer
    The Sparkle psu is a Tier 5 and should be replaced. It is typical for the prebuilt systems to use cheap psu to lower cost since so few people know the difference.

    Seasonic is the best make prsently. Superflower is another outstanding psu OEM. XFX uses only Seasonic supplies and they are usually just a bit cheaper in price. Antec is another good make and Corsair (not the CX budget ones). There are others out there but they then depend on which model.

    If you plan to upgrade to a GPU in the future then take a guess on which one and get the supply that will fit it rather than spending again to upgrade the PSU.
  5. jnkweaver said:
    The Sparkle psu is a Tier 5 and should be replaced. It is typical for the prebuilt systems to use cheap psu to lower cost since so few people know the difference.

    Seasonic is the best make prsently. Superflower is another outstanding psu OEM. XFX uses only Seasonic supplies and they are usually just a bit cheaper in price. Antec is another good make and Corsair (not the CX budget ones). There are others out there but they then depend on which model.

    If you plan to upgrade to a GPU in the future then take a guess on which one and get the supply that will fit it rather than spending again to upgrade the PSU.


    I got my Evga 1000w PSU for half the price of a seasonic 850w, was so happy as it is a OEM of Superflower :lol:
  6. jnkweaver said:
    The Sparkle psu is a Tier 5 and should be replaced. It is typical for the prebuilt systems to use cheap psu to lower cost since so few people know the difference.

    Seasonic is the best make prsently. Superflower is another outstanding psu OEM. XFX uses only Seasonic supplies and they are usually just a bit cheaper in price. Antec is another good make and Corsair (not the CX budget ones). There are others out there but they then depend on which model.

    If you plan to upgrade to a GPU in the future then take a guess on which one and get the supply that will fit it rather than spending again to upgrade the PSU.


    So how much watts to case fans add to this whole mix and on topic about psu. I have two 120 and 200mm, all are blue led fans.
  7. Next to nothing. Use the suggested wattage from the graphics card manufacturer and that is for the whole system. They assume the CPU is 100W so you may want to bump it up slightly for your 200W cpu.
  8. jnkweaver said:
    Next to nothing. Use the suggested wattage from the graphics card manufacturer and that is for the whole system. They assume the CPU is 100W so you may want to bump it up slightly for your 200W cpu.


    See if can pick your knowledge bank one last time, along lines of the cpu wattage you mentioned. Using I HWmonitor and speed fan, I get cpu temp of 18-20 degrees Celsius. Serious room in this case the CM HAF 912 again. But have tried others like core temp and amd has the overdrive that shows cpu temp. One showed 0 degrees c and other 62c. Read on toms hardware posting, isn't a current cpu temp software for 8 cores. Thoughts.....
  9. Unless your room is really cold 20 celsius is too low for a proper reading. I keep my house around 22 celsius so that would be room temperature. I think the chip starts throttling at 70C. I would use 65C as a max. I usually use the highest core temp as my guide.
  10. jnkweaver said:
    Unless your room is really cold 20 celsius is too low for a proper reading. I keep my house around 22 celsius so that would be room temperature. I think the chip starts throttling at 70C. I would use 65C as a max. I usually use the highest core temp as my guide.


    Ya something not right for sure. Its got the Antec H20 650 liquid cooling on cpu. But know that wont add much beyond 5-10 degrees then stock cooler. But even going into bios or uefi guess now called, its says cpu temp 18 and system temp 16. Temp here where live is about 25 degrees, and snowing hard all day.
Ask a new question

Read More

DDR3 AMD Components