R9 290 Black Screen Issue

sunkenau

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Heya guys,

I have been doing a lot of reading about the black screen issue with the early 290's and a lot of people are saying its something about the RAM used on the card itself and it cant handle the temperature or something like that... Wondering if someone could possibly shed some light on this for me and possible give me some idea on how to fix the issue, if there is a fix?

My card will crash almost 100% of the time on first bootup before the Windows login, if I leave the computer for about 10 minutes and restart it, then everything runs fine.. It blackscreens but doesn't crash, which is why I have pinpointed it towards the GPU, I have recently replaced my motherboard, ram and PSU and the issue still occurs.

I have a reference card from early rollouts of the R9 290, is it worth a 3rd party cooler?

j0ndafr3ak

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Hi there,
I have the same problem. But it occurs only when I'm on HDMI. I have 2 monitors, one is connected to DVI the other (full hd tv) to HDMI. when I use the DVI monitor, everything's fine. I can play bf4 with max details without a problem, but when i connect the hdmi tv and try to watch a movie the screen blacks out. the tv still gets the signal but there's no image displayed. I had the new beta driver, then rolled back to stable 13.12, but the problem is still there. I had to uninstall the card for tonight. I'm on the IGPU. has anyone found a solution?

j0ndafr3ak

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
tried to update the bios, but the card already had the latest version. I re-installed the latest beta driver but now I'm getting black screens and system reboots on DVI too... this is really annoying me... you can't spend more than 400 euros on a graphics card and still experience all these problems... AMD please come up with the solution to this as fast as you can... or else I'll switch to nVidia..

j0ndafr3ak

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

thanks. i'll have a look at it.. the thing is I can play for hours, it has never happened during gameplay... it happens when I'm surfing the net... it mostly happened when I had these two tabs in chrome with streaming videos... i suppose videos are processed by the gpu...

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable
yea everything i ever read about them said that it happens at random times, if it was heat it should be happening under gaming load not watching youtube...hey i got an idea, your catalyst control does it have an option to use amd settings for videos? if so try to turn that on and watch a video. just a guess

virtualdanger

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I seem to have the black screens, specifically during video playback only. So any other PC use, be it browsing or gaming, its fine. While watching video though, the screen goes black for a few seconds, and then display resumes. Thoughts anyone?