$250 PSU, GPU, and maybe CPU upgrade

ninja811

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
Approximate Purchase Date: this month

Budget Range: $250 could go over a bit though.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming

Are you buying a monitor: no

Parts to Upgrade: PSU, GPU and maybe the CPU

Do you need to buy OS: no

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Bestbuy because i have some gift cards for there.

Parts Preferences: no preferences

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: no

Your Monitor Resolution: 1600 x 900

Additional Comments: This is my current hardware list. I plan on being able to play games like minecraft with mods, Kerbal Space Program, and Mount and Blade to name a few. I have already been recommended to get a AMD FX-6300 Six-Core and a Radeon 7770 Video Card to achieve this.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I can't do much gaming on my current comp and I hope to upgrade it to be able to play more games.

Solution
Any 500 to 550 would would suffice. I recommend the xfx 550w personally, but any will work. That is around 50 or 60 right there. I think that you might need a new motherboard for the fx-6300, but do not know if the am3+ processor will fit in the am3 motherboard. Microcenter has good deals on combos if you leave nearby, but that is almost another 160 dollars or more to get to 200. You may be able to sell your old processor and motherboard to get another 50 dollar or so. One problem with this is that you will need a fresh windows 7 install. If you do not, you still have around 100 dollars after selling the older parts. best buy has the hd radeon 7770 for 110 right now if you want that from best buy. If you do not change motherboard or...

schau314

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Any 500 to 550 would would suffice. I recommend the xfx 550w personally, but any will work. That is around 50 or 60 right there. I think that you might need a new motherboard for the fx-6300, but do not know if the am3+ processor will fit in the am3 motherboard. Microcenter has good deals on combos if you leave nearby, but that is almost another 160 dollars or more to get to 200. You may be able to sell your old processor and motherboard to get another 50 dollar or so. One problem with this is that you will need a fresh windows 7 install. If you do not, you still have around 100 dollars after selling the older parts. best buy has the hd radeon 7770 for 110 right now if you want that from best buy. If you do not change motherboard or chose a different processor this is all possible but a little more problematic with a pc. Source, i just went through this process with an hp.

Solution

ninja811

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

Thanks for the reply and I have two questions. What would be a good processor for a am3 socket and i thought a 400w PSU was enough to run this?