1024 x 768 on r9 270?

Axl Gil

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
hi, i have a question .. im planning to buy an r9 270 for my gpu , is this card will work on a small display like i have? and can i play games on ultra presets? for atleast 30-40 fps?

and btw i will upgrade my monitor in a few months , i just want to know if this card will run on my 1024*768 display..
thanks

Solution
you will get ultra settings on that monitor for sure and it is compatible so long as it has the right connections dvi or hdmi. most likely it only has a vga so you have to get a adapter, there like 10 dollars or less. some models even come with one

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable
you will get ultra settings on that monitor for sure and it is compatible so long as it has the right connections dvi or hdmi. most likely it only has a vga so you have to get a adapter, there like 10 dollars or less. some models even come with one

Solution

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable

on the old monitor you wont notice it on the new one yea you will most likely recieve a slight bottle neck

OnkelCannabia

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

It will be ok. The Athlon 2 x4 is very slow compared to newer CPUs but at least it is a quad core. CPUs aren't affected by higher or lower resolutions, so playing with a low resolution will not give you any performance benefit on the CPU side. Your system will be fast enough though. You might want to look out for CPU specific settings like ragdoll physics or particle effects and lower them a bit. CPU bottlenecking will be limited though, so the R9 270 is a good choice.

Axl Gil

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

well thanks :) how about if i buy a 1080p monitor , is there will be a large bottleneck issues on my athlon x4? should i upgrage my cpu if i got a new 1080p display?

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable

if it is a 370k or a 340 i would at least upgrade to a quad core athlon as a dual core athlon will hinder your systems performance in gaming. if your socket is fm2 then this is the best cpu you can get.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad760kwohlbox
what is your current model exactly so i can suggest you an upgrade path if you like

Axl Gil

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

my specs are these:
cpu: athlon II x4 730 2.8ghz
mobo: Asrock fm2 A55M-VG3
gpu:geforce gt210 only (want to replace with r9 270 or 7870)
psu:corsair vs450w
ram: 4gb ddr3 1333mhz

what do you think? should i upgrade ? my budget for now is only total of $200 in my country

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable
you should be fine with out upgrading cpu for now. is your budget to include your graphics upgrade, also is your memory in a 2x2gb setup or is it a 4gb single stick....and what country are you from so i can try to get prices from your country as prices and availibility change per region

Axl Gil

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

i have 4gb single stick my country is here in the philippines i think the r9 270 cost $190 here, and also my cousin will gave me in the near future a intel g3220 with h81 motherboard ,do you think that g3220 is better on my athlon? im totally confused , i search for a comparison but cpu world said that g3220 is more faster in single threaded and slightly faster at multi threaded
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/951/AMD_Athlon_X4_730_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_G3220.html

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable
no that pentium will decrease performance because it is a dual core and it isnt necessarilly for gaming
do you happen to know the specs of your mem? you really should be running in dual channel not single channel it decrease performance significantly. you need another stick just like the one you have matching specs and company is very important, you basically need the same exact stick
can you get there one for cheap?
also is your new monitor going to be 1080p? i may be able to suggest you another card to fit in your budget that will get comparable performance

Axl Gil

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

i only have a 14" lcd monitor with 1024*768 display ,im planning to buy 1080p in a few months monitor but for now i will first upgrade my gpu, my ram is CORSAIR XMS3 4GB 1333MHZ single stick only should get another stick for faster and higher framerates?

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable
if you could sell that stick and get 1866 memory 2x4gb as your board natively supports that with voltage of 1.5v and a cas latency of 9
those are the specs you should look for and the 270 will be fine but wont optimally perform until you get a dual channel memory setup

OnkelCannabia

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

I just spend the entire post telling you that resolution has little effect on the CPU. At 1080p it is your graphics card that will have troubles. Just google R9 270 benchmarks and look at it yourself. Most benchmarks are in 1080p, so you'll find lots of results.